Choosing itr2 or itr4 for tiny freelancing income when total income is below 5 lakh?

Background info: A little after the start of last financial year I left my job to do studies, so the income from there was around 4.5 lakh. During the financial year I also did a bit of freelancing which earned me rupees seventy thousand, and that company deducted TDS which is reflected in my form 26AS. I have also made investments under 80C for 1.5 lakh. I have interest from few FD's and long term capital gains (with and without indexation) due to withdrawing from a mutual fund. Didn't pay advance taxes. Slight chance I won't cross the first tax bracket. I don't have a GST ID, and I intend to continue freelancing for a few more years. I do my tax filing myself.

Questions: 

1. A CA told me it's not necessary to use ITR4, and I could just declare the Rs.70K freelancing income in ITR2, but I wanted to confirm if it's ok to do that, especially because the TDS for it is shown in 26AS, and the verifying officer would see that it's income from business. Also, I don't see any section in ITR2 where I can declare it. Is "Income Dividends (gross) 1a" the section to enter the 70K?

2. If ITR4 is the right one to use, I don't see any section in ITR4 where I can declare capital gains. Is it the right form to use?

 

Replies (7)
You can file ITR 3

But Jatin, ITR3 mandatorily requires that a CA should audit my accounts. I don't have any books of accounts or profit and loss statements. I was actually hoping to use presumptive taxation in ITR4. I doubt ITR3 applies to me. Please read my initial post. I believe I've mentioned all relevant details.
 

No audit required, you can file ITR 3
you can go with itr 3
itr 3

File itr 3...

ITR3, Schedule Profit and Loss, go to the bottom Row 53. You can mention there freelancing income.

Schedule S will have to display any salary income.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details