CHANGE WE NEED_Article students

Nikhil Trivedi (CA) (185 Points)

21 October 2009  

After listening and seeing all the ICAI notification, now, it is time to think on the Articleship Period and its pattern for the benefit of Article students.

Why? (What is the current situation?)

ICAI has made few notifications since last 5-6 months which is definitely not favorable towards ICAI students. All the seniors in the CA firms will surely say to the Students that “Sub Manageable he, Hum logo ne bhi padha he, 4 Months ka Leave bahut sufficient he, etc, etc.” They will not agree with the difficulties which are facing currently by the Article students due to these recent amendments. So, it is useless to talk or discuss the views of Principal employer on it (1000% not agree). 
Problems are:
Ø      Articleship period and Leaves related with it (which is the main point which is I discussing in this Article).
Ø      No Transfer ( Pure Exploitation)
Ø      Class timing restriction (But no Strict rule for working hours)
Ø      No Increment in the Stipend Limit ( due to which we are the CHEAPEST POFESSIONAL LABOURERS IN THE WORLD)

OBAMA;s SLOGAN – “ CHANGE - WE NEED”

OK, whatever the ICAI issues notifications for Article Students, whether favorable or not, some times it is useful for long time future. ( I personally agree as I got and also getting much more Practical experience than any Dummy article due to which we all are practically more experienced than such Dummy articles at the time of interviews in question sessions)

NOW, my main point is Articleship period and Leaves related with it.

The Articleship Period of 3 YEARS………..:
Impacts :
Ø      Work under only one CA (2nd CA as per notification of Sept’09.) till 3rd year end. Actions taken by the students to cope up with this is generally Dummy Articleship. (Specially observed in the CPT cleared students)
Ø      No other experience other than work of Principal employer.
Ø      After becoming CA , stipend is still at its BEST level (Very low even after getting degree except BIG4s where after clearing CA, No stipend but Package (yearly min. 3.5 lacs in last year articleship)
Ø      No Strict Rule for Industrial Training – due to which many of us would remain inexperienced at the time Campus interviews
Ø      Etc. (How much should I write, yaar?)

Without wasting time, SHORT and SWEET SUGEESTION to ICAI, is that think over the Period of Articleship and its patterns.

LEAVE PERIOD :

Now, it is also imp. as Articleship.

Without sufficient leave student can not be totally prepared mentally for the FINAL CA Exams. (One of the toughest exams in India coming after the Exams of IAS, IIM Entrance, etc.).

OK that ICAI issued the notification which are somehow unfavorable to the Students, but ATLEAST , sufficient leave should be given to the students for the next coming Final CA exams.( Specially , after the notification – ALL Compulsory Questions) .

Eligible leaves are 156 days for old students, but some of firms gives only 3 to 4 months leave though the Student is entitled to take the more leaves. 
Some of CA says that, if student fails then for next exams balance leaves can be used. So they initially gives the less leaves ( Exception again in some of BIG’4s where though the Article are force to work more than 8 hours per day , he is entitled for Extra credit based on calculation of Extra hours worked, Really appreciable!!!)

But how the student can be well prepared before the High Level Professional Exams. (As no time to study during the Training period) .

So, I also feel that ICAI need to consider the Leave policy which should be such sufficient (5 months and which should be COMPULSORY FOR EMPLOYERS TO GIVE TO THAT MUCH TO THE STUDENTS) that the student can feel that ICAI is liberal towards them in at least one aspect of the policy and they can be well prepared for exams.

MY PERSONAL SUGGESTION TO ICAI REALTED TO ALL THESE THINGS:

The Articleship period should be of following manner:

Ø      1.5 year compulsory Articleship under ONLY one C.A. ( As CA can feel that no article will leave him after getting some part of training and student can be well known that for 1.5 years they will be fixed – No HARM to CA Members) 
Ø      5-6 months leave period to the students (Paid or unpaid leave depend upon the Employers‘ wish, no problem to Article Student) (Student can assure for well preparation for exams, Less chances of dummy (the main object of ICAI) as students get sufficient leaves, - No Harm to Students.)
Ø      Last 1 year – Option for Student take transfer ( Whether under other CA or Industrial Training –Choice is of Article Student) ( No Harm to students a they can get transfer specially in 3rd year or they can continue , NO HARM to any body)
ICAI…., please initiate on this , if this is Comfortable. 

Dear All, this is my first Article on this site, so plz feel free to comment so that I can write other article on the ICAI policies on
Ø      Transfers and loopholes on this,
Ø      Ind.Training policy and improper and impossible formalities for applying for it, etc.

Waiting for Replies……

UR’S WELL WISHER…..
CA FINAL ARTCLE……(May-2010)