Carry forward and setting off of FnO loss

Hi guys, I have a question regarding carry forward of losses. Suppose I have 5 lakh loss in FnO trading, 1 lakh profit in LTCG, and 10k in savings account interest.

My CA is telling that I have to set off my FnO loss by LTCG and interest amount. That means I can carry forward loss of only 5lakh - 1 lakh  - 10k = 3.9 lakh. 

But in this way I am losing the exemptions that government gives. LTCG upto 1 lakh is already tax exempted and savings account interest upto 10k is also already tax exempted.

So I am losing 1.1 lakh exemptions. Also I am not able to carry forward the entire loss. this feels strange. So I thought I will ask some guys here.

Any suggestions.

Replies (2)
Quick Summary
This discussion explores the rules for carrying forward losses from Futures and Options (FnO) trading. The user is questioning their CA's advice to set off a 5 lakh FnO loss against 1 lakh LTCG profit and 10k savings interest, which reduces the carry-forward loss and seemingly negates tax exemptions. The community confirms the auditor's advice is correct regarding the set-off rules, but also explores if the 10k savings interest exemption under Section 80TTA can still be claimed.

Your auditor is correct
Even after setting off my loss with LTCG and interest, can I still claim deduction of the savings interest 10k under section 80TTA?

This way I can at least get some exemption. Otherwise it's a double whammy for me - reducing carry forward loss by 10k and also not getting the 10k exemption the govt is giving to all taxpayers

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Article Assistant

SGNG & Associates

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details