Can i pay rent to parents in jointly owned property?

Hi, 

I purchased a property in joint ownership with my mother and when have defined 50:50 share in the house. Now, the house is self occupied by me. 

1. Can I pay rent to my mother so that she gets rental income for her share of the property?

2. While I pay rent to my mother will I be eligible to take HRA benefit?

3. Since I took loan for the flat will I also be eligible for loan interest payment deduction?

So basically, Will I get both HRA and interest payment tax deduction in this scenario?

PS: I saw multiple version of this query and answers so would appreciate reply with reference to sections. Thanks much!

 

Replies (2)
It's your own property in share, i.e., u are having 50% of share in the property which u are self occupying. Then u cannot pay rent to the self owned property.
Pl some one make this more clear.
Agree with Mr. Nagaraj

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details