Ca results - how reliable???

CA Ashish Pathak (Employed at Cipla Ltd.) (2779 Points)

08 August 2012  

Hello Folks,

Whatever I am going to write may hurt sentiments of many of you but thats the bitter truth and so please excuse me for my words that follows.

There has been many instances in CA exams where a student who really deserves to pass but fails and also there are instances where a non-deserving student passes. In November 2011 term of CA Final Exams around 300 CA Final students cleared either one group or both the groups after they applied for retotalling of their marks (as per the article published in Times of India the link to which is - https://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-05-16/chennai/31725898_1_lakh-students-lecturer-final-exams). And by the way this is the case of only CA Final Exam. For sure similar things must be happening in IPCC Exams too.

Something really shocking was that one of the student scoring 7 (SEVEN) in one of the subject got passed in this process of retotalling of marks. Is this a mistake or a blunder? And what about those students who did not applied for reverification (whatever the reason be.... there are many who dont apply for reverification out of depression and frustration because of such unexpected results and it really breaks every little confidence one has). Even i scored shameful and of course unexpected "19" in ISCA in my November 2011 attempt and didn't applied for reverification because of the same reasons cited above.( And by the way now I have cleared my 2nd Group this time i.e MAY12 attempt  by scoring 59 in ISCA )

Can we all imagine the mental state of that student who got SHAMEFUL UNEXPECTED SEVEN though he desrved a lot better. This kind of unexpected results for sure shatters every bit of confidence of  a student  who gives every possible efforts for this exam but all in vain.

How can they be so careless in correcting answer scripttts of such a renowned and crucial professional Exams??? We all understand that "it's human to err" and few mistakes are acceptable but mistakes in 300 copies shows nothing but sheer carelessness of examiners. The honourable institute and it's honourable council members seems to have no idea of the immense pressure a CA student is under. They really don't care a damn about the tireless hardwork most of the students put in.

The exam answer scriptttts are checked by experienced Practising CA's. Chartered Accountants ought to be good at figures. But here in our country its body conducting examinations is so inefficient that it does not even properly count the marks and poor students has to apply for retotalling to know the correct total.

And if they can commit such uncalled for mistakes in simple totalling of two digit figures then how can we expect them to be properly reading our  answers? How can we expect them to be properly evaluating the lenghthy tideous solutions to problems like Capital Budgeting, Consolidation or Decision making??? 

I feel sorry to say all this but there are also few cases where the examiners (practising CA's) give these answer papers to their article assistants for correction or totalling of marks. I am sure some you must have done this during your articleship training. What a disgraceful thing this is for CA Profession...

But there are some CA Professionals and CA teachers who are still fighting against the injustices being done on poor CA Students. A public interest litigation was filled by CA Venkata Sivakumar (who is also a renowned CA teacher and author of few books on Costing and Financial Management for CA Students) at Madras High Court. Though the PIL was dismissed by the High court as it was filled by a lecturer and not a student. I am attaching the copy of this beautifully drafted PIL by CA Venkata Sivakumar which i found from the website called carocks.wordpress.com. Please do download this attacment  to know about the allegations against ICAI.

Also a writ petition has been filled with Karnataka High Court against ICAI for mistakes in CA Final November 2011 Exam. I have heard (though not confirmed) that the Karnataka High Court pronounced it's judgement against ICAI and now the said case has been further appealed by ICAI before Hon'ble Supreme Court of India. If any of you know anything about the case and it's judgement do comment.

Is this the standard of examination conducted by Honourable ICAI?

Is this how the "World's Second Largest Accounting Body" plays with the career of lakhs of young India? 

Regards.

Yours sincerely

A fellow CA student.