194 I / 194 C

Hai Friends.....I m here with a doubt regarding the deduction of tax at source in respect of "taking a boat on rent"...Under what section does Taking a boat on rent attract TDS.. whether 194 C or 194 I? Is Boat an equipment or a vehicle?

I understand from sec. 194 C that

a) if at all the person giving a boat or a vehicle on rent including the driver or the crew for a transport contract, then it becomes a "transport contract''.

b) even if the person who takes the boat or vehicle on rent ...(just rent)..it comes only under sec.194I irrespective of the fact whether the person who takes it uses for transportation of people or cargo.

I request u to give clarification on this...very urgent pls.....

 

Replies (6)

Hi..

Your content is absolutely correct. My opinion is that the TDS to be deductible will be decided on the basis of terms of contract between the parties.

If terms support that the payment to be made is by way of Rent, Sec 194 I will be applicable.vise versa.

thus the terms of contract need to be read carefully.

Regards,

Hi..

Your content is absolutely correct. My opinion is that the TDS to be deductible will be decided on the basis of terms of contract between the parties.

If terms support that the payment to be made is by way of Rent, Sec 194 I will be applicable.vise versa.

thus the terms of contract need to be read carefully.

Regards,

there is one more point that can be used to differentiate a transport contract with renting-

  1. in transport contract, it is the duty of transporter to make the customer/service receiver reach the destination-  may be thats why he is supplying the crew also
  2. in rent contract- the service receiver just hires the vehicle to be used at his own will

(this is my personal opinion, i dont know if this is related to law or not)

Nikhil

NKA Accounting Solutions

Originally posted by :SIRISHA TUSHARA P
" Hai Friends.....I m here with a doubt regarding the deduction of tax at source in respect of "taking a boat on rent"...Under what section does Taking a boat on rent attract TDS.. whether 194 C or 194 I? Is Boat an equipment or a vehicle?
I understand from sec. 194 C that
a) if at all the person giving a boat or a vehicle on rent including the driver or the crew for a transport contract, then it becomes a "transport contract''.
b) even if the person who takes the boat or vehicle on rent ...(just rent)..it comes only under sec.194I irrespective of the fact whether the person who takes it uses for transportation of people or cargo.
I request u to give clarification on this...very urgent pls.....
 Correct
"
Originally posted by :Vinod Jain
"


Originally posted by :SIRISHA TUSHARA P


"
Hai Friends.....I m here with a doubt regarding the deduction of tax at source in respect of "taking a boat on rent"...Under what section does Taking a boat on rent attract TDS.. whether 194 C or 194 I? Is Boat an equipment or a vehicle?
I understand from sec. 194 C that
a) if at all the person giving a boat or a vehicle on rent including the driver or the crew for a transport contract, then it becomes a "transport contract''.
b) even if the person who takes the boat or vehicle on rent ...(just rent)..it comes only under sec.194I irrespective of the fact whether the person who takes it uses for transportation of people or cargo.
I request u to give clarification on this...very urgent pls.....
 Correct
"


"

Nikkhil is right .. Tds ll attracted u/s 194I

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details