Government of India
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways
Transport Bhawan, 1 Parliament Street, New Delhi-110001
22 February, 2021
The Principal Secretary (Transport)/Secretary (Transport) and Transport Commissioners of all States/ UTs
Subject: Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Vehicle Location Tracking (VLT), registration and activation in VAHAN
The undersigned is directed to state that the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, GOI has earlier issued the Guidelines for the Scheme, namely “Deployment and Management of State wise Vehicle Tracking Platform for Safety a Enforcement as per AIS 140 Specifications in States Et Union Territories under Nirbhaya Framework” dated 15th January, 2020.
2. As per the Scheme Guidelines, Monitoring Centres (backend systems) are to be established by States/UTs with central assistance to monitor public service vehicles (PSVs) as well as to handle Vehicle Location Tracking and Panic Button alerts raised in such vehicles. All PSVs registered after 01st January, 2019 were mandated to be fitted with Vehicle Location Tracking (VLT) device and emergency buttons. For old PSVs, State/ UT may take decide an appropriate time of implementation of VLT device and emergency buttons.
3. With an intent of effective implementation of the scheme, this Ministry has prepared the SOP for Vehicle Location Tracking (VLT) registration and activation in VAHAN. A copy of the same is enclosed with this letter for your information and necessary action. The SOP details the following process of registration and activation in VAHAN:
(i) VLT registration and activation for new vehicle
(ii) VLT registration and activation retro-fitment in vehicles
(Paresh Kumar Goel)
Encl. – Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Vehicle Location Tracking (VLT) registration and activation in VAHAN
1. Director (Women Safety), Ministry of Home Affairs
2. Director(MVL), Ministry of Road Transport Et Highways
3. The Under Secretary, Nirbhaya Cell, Ministry of Women and Child Development
4. ED ASRTU
5. DG, SIAM
7. NIC-May be upload on MoRTH website
(Paresh Kumar Goel)
For complete notification please refer to the attachment.