Securities and Exchange Board of India
Circular No. SEBI/HO/MIRSD/POD-1/P/CIR/2023/158 Dated: September 26, 2023
All Recognized Stock Exchanges
All Recognized Depositories
Stock Brokers (Trading Members) through Recognized Stock Exchanges
Depository Participants through Depositories
All registered Registrars to an Issue and Share Transfer Agents (RTAs)
All Listed Companies through Recognized Stock Exchanges
Dear Sir / Madam,
Subject: Extension of timelines (i) for nomination in eligible demat accounts and (ii) for submission of PAN, Nomination and KYC details by physical security holders; and voluntary nomination for trading accounts
For trading and demat accounts
1. SEBI, vide circular no. SEBI/HO/MIRSD/RTAMB/CIR/P/2021/601 dated July 23, 2021, stipulates that trading accounts and demat account which do not have ‘choice of nomination’ by September 30, 20231 shall be frozen.
2. In this respect, based on the representations received from the Exchanges, Depositories, Brokers’ Associations and various other stakeholders, the following has been decided:
2.1. Submission of ‘choice of nomination’ for trading accounts has been made voluntary as a step towards ease of doing business;
2.2. With respect to demat accounts, it has been decided to extend the last date for submission of ‘choice of nomination’ to December 31, 2023.
For physical security holders
3. As regards physical securities, SEBI, vide circular no. SEBI/HO/MIRSD/MIRSD-PoD-1/P/CIR/2023/37 dated March 16, 2023, stipulated that folios shall be frozen if PAN, Nomination, Contact details, Bank A/c details and Specimen signature are not submitted by the holders by September 30, 2023.
4. Based on the representations received from investors, Registrars Association of India and various other stakeholders, it has been decided to extend the last date for submission of PAN, Nomination, Contact details, Bank A/c details and Specimen signature for their corresponding folio numbers to December 31, 2023.
5. Stock Exchanges, Depositories, RTAs and Listed Companies are advised to:
a) take necessary steps to implement the provisions of this circular, including making necessary amendment to the relevant bye-laws / business rules / regulations / operational instructions, as the case may be;
b) bring the provisions of this circular to the notice of their respective constituents and also disseminate this circular on their websites;
c) communicate to SEBI, the status of the implementation of the provisions of this circular; and
d) monitor the compliance of this circular.
6. This circular shall come into effect immediately in supersession of relevant provisions contained in various circulars issued by SEBI including Master Circulars issued for Stock Brokers and Registrars to an Issue and Share Transfer Agents dated May 17, 2023.
7. This circular is issued in exercise of powers conferred by Section 11(1) of the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992, and Section 19 of the Depositories Act, 1996 to protect the interests of investors in securities and to promote the development of, and to regulate the securities market.
8. This circular is available on SEBI website at www.sebi.gov.in under the categories “Legal Framework -> Circulars”.
Market Intermediaries Regulation and Supervision Department
Tel. No. 022-2644 9633
Email id – firstname.lastname@example.org