Wrong lower deduction certificate used in TDS returns

I have used a expired lower deduction certificate u/s 197 and have now received a demand for short deduction.

I have already paid the demand amount, however I would like to correct the return by using the latest certificate and claim refund.

How can I do this on Traces

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
A user mistakenly used an expired lower deduction certificate in their TDS returns, resulting in a demand for short deduction. After paying the demand, they wish to rectify the return on Traces using the correct, valid certificate. The advice given is to file an online correction on Traces, specifically by adding or modifying the deductee row, highlighting the incorrect entry, and updating the certificate number before saving and processing.

I think certificate cannot be used to reduce deduction of past transaction

Just to add the older certificate was wrongly used and I already have a valid certificate.

Just need to replace it is it possible?

Please raise an online correction in TRACES. Add/Modify deductee row. Go to default deductee row. Highlight the entry in which the certificate no is wrong and change the certificate no. Save and process the correction statement.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details