Written english: where to use colon

To introduce a list

We need these items for our tour: a bag, a basket, a water bottle, packed food, fresh fruits and vegetable.
We need these people for our assignment: Ram, Shyam, Mohan and Sohan.
I want you to arrange these things for dinner: mix veg, naan, dal makhani etc.

If we rephrase these sentences, we don’t need colon. Examples:

We need a bag, a basket, a water bottle, packed food, fresh fruits and vegetable for our tour.
We need Ram, Shyam, Mohan and Sohan for our assignment.
I want you to arrange mix veg, naan, dal makhani and salad for dinner.

To introduce a formal quotation.

Our director said in the meeting: Tell us what you can do for the company and don’t ask what company can do for you.

To emphasize a word, phrase or clause

My business failed because of one thing: absence of planning
I can achieve success through one principle: principle of best service
You are missing something: how you should make the best use of your time

Greeting in a business letter

Dear Sales Manager:
Dear Mr. Ram:

Title and Subtile of a book

Speak English: Your Guide to Everyday Communication
Learn English at Home: 65 hours video training program

Between two sentences, when second explains the first

I ignored him: I knew he would waste my time.
I wanted to meet him: I wanted to learn nuances of business from him.
He ignored the call: he knew it was from bank manager for whom he had no time.

You can also improve your spoken English by practising my bestselling book; you can get the same at following link:  Speak English-Your Guide to everyday communication on www.amazon.in

Replies (1)

yes

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article assistant

S.K.Bajpai & Co.

Noida

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details