Share on Email

Share More

Works contract question

yashsr (CA)     07 November 2013

yashsr
CA 
 15 likes  2270 points

| My Other Post

In Works Contract there are three types of works contract Original, Maintenance & Other works.
1.    In case of original works contract (New Construction) service tax shall be payable on 40% of the total amt charged for the works contract.
2.    In case of maintenance & repairs works contract (servicing of any goods) Service tax shall be payable on 70% of the total amt charged for the works contract.
3.    In case of other works contract (Electrical & Fittings) Service tax shall be payable on 60% of the total amt charged for the works contract.

My Question: If a builder has simply constructed the structure, under which category will the same be? Note that Electrical and furniture fittings, interior designing etc. will be done by some other person. Will it be 'Original Works', 'Maintenance and Repair's or 'Other Works Contract'?

avater

CA. Narottam Kumar Rawat (Indirect Tax Consultant)     08 November 2013

CA. Narottam Kumar Rawat
Indirect Tax Consultant 
 31 likes  387 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Dear Yashsr,

It will be fall under Original Works. Definition is attached for your reference:

(a) “original works” means-

(i)    all new constructions;

(ii)   all types of additions and alterations to abandoned or damaged structures on land that are required to make them workable;

(iii) erection, commissioning or installation of plant, machinery or equipment or structures, whether pre-fabricated or otherwise; 

Hope it useful to you.

avater

CA Vichitra Trivedi (Manager - Accounts & Taxation)     08 November 2013

CA Vichitra Trivedi
Manager - Accounts & Taxation 
 2 likes  61 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Second Clause of Maintenance & Repairs works contract is only applicable to 'any goods'. Hence not applicable in your case. In your query, builder is only constructing the structure. It is a New Construction and would wall in Original Works and Service Tax will be payable on 40% of the amount charged.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register