What needs to be entered under previous year(s) column in table a of income tax form 10e annex. i ?

Dear All, I am tasked with filing income tax form 10E to get tax relief u/s 89 against arrears. As per attached screenshot taken from online Form 10E Annexure I, Income Tax web site asks to fill Assessment Year in Table A as shown in error line, despite column head is titled as Previous year(s). I have consulted many CAs in this regard. Some are of the view that I need to mention financial year for which arrears pertains to. For example, if arrears pertains to financial year 2014-15 then 2014-15 should be mentioned under "Previous year(s)" column in Table A of Form 10E Annexure I. While other CAs have advised me to mention assessment year for every previous year (financial year) for which arrears pertain to. For example, if arrears pertains to financial year 2014-15 then 2015-16 should be mentioned under "Previous year(s)" column. Both advice are opposite to each other. So, confusion is still there: I do not know which one to follow. I request you to please guide, what needs to be mentioned under Previous year(s) column in Table A of Form 10E - Financial Year, or corresponding Assessment Year? I would appreciate an early reply. Kind regards, Jagjeet Sharma
Attached File : 2808021 20190526190849 income tax form 10e annexure i.doc downloaded: 154 times
Replies (7)

Where the confusion arise when the software itself suggest to enter.....

"Please enter the ASSESSMENT YEAR in YYYY-YY format" !!

Mention assessment year for every previous year (financial year) for which arrears pertain to. For example, if arrears pertains to financial year 2014-15 then 2015-16 should be mentioned under "Previous year(s)"

 

Dear Shri Rambhia ji, Thanks for your clear, concise, and timely reply. The confusion generated because column head is titled "Previous Year(s)" and I have been informed that for all practical purposes, the "Previous Year" means financial year. That is the only reason, I raised this query to get opinion of expert CAs. As I understand from your message, I should mention corresponding Assessment Year for every Previous Year (or Financial Year) for which arrears pertain to. For example, if arrears is for FY 2014-15 (AY 2015-16), then 2015-16 should be entered under "Previous Year(s)" column in Table A of Form 10E. Please inform whether I have grasped your message in proper manner. Warm regards, Jagjeet Sharma
Thanks Shri Seetharaman ji for your quick response.

Correct.

While preparing the 10e for the AY 2019-20 I have entered the previous assessment year 2018-19. But after entering the year the Taxable income of AY 2019-20 is auto populated in the box. Please clarify.

As the software shows to enter the assessment year but it takes the financial year. Please check

Hi... Even I am facing the same issue while preparing form 10E for the AY 2019-20 when previous AY 2018-19 entered data related to  taxable income of AY 2019-20 is auto populated in the box. Please clarify.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details