use of wrong ITR . what to do ?

Hi ,

I work in an online Indian tutoring company and received 128,000 in FY 10 - 11 .12,800 has been deducted as TDS and Form 16A sent to me .

In AY 07 - 08 , 08 - 09 , 09 - 10 , 10 - 11 I have filed ITR 2 [ manually not efiling ] . One problem had always been there ; my income is not salary ; not interest ; not amount paid to to a consultant [ I am not a doctor , lawyer , CA etc . Tutoring is not a recognized profession ].  My company calls payment to me " Tutoring Charges " . Even in other years there was doubt as to if I should file ITR 2 or 4 . Some of my friends file ITR 2 other ITR 4 . IT dept does not care in other years

This year I wanted to go for efiling and on 3rd July with help of an online tax return company filed it . The system asked yes / no questions filled up the form and submitted it after I paid the requisite fees . When my ITR V came by email I saw that the website had filed ITR 1 [ Sahaj ] . I sent the ITR V signed copy by ordinary mail to Bangalore on 4th July

My questions are

A ) is ITR 1 correct for me ? if not then which form and which heading in that form is for me ?

B ) if not then what should I do ? Should I file revised return ?

C ) if ITR 1 is a mistake will IT dept reject it and notify me to file a revised return ? How am I supposed to know ? Meaning suppose they scrutinise ITR 1 and find no fault with it and in meantime I go ahead and file ITR 2 revised return . that will make things very complicated

D ) can revised return be filed online or does it have to submitted at IT office in my city

thanks to anyone who can help me out .

Regards

Arijit Mitra

Replies (1)

This is the pit fall of relying on web based companies for filing ITR's. many of these are run by half baked semi professionals who have no clue as to

1. what the IT law is

2. what the process for on line filing is.

Hope people will be wary of such websites and take help of professionals if they cant file for themselves

Now that u have filed the ITR V with ITR 1, I suggest u just stay put. The correct ITR is ITR 4 ( how did u get the idea of ITR 2 ??) If the department wants u to file correct ITR, then it will intimate u euither from the CPC or from your local IT office.

But if you have shown the Form 16 A as form 16, u run the risk of not getting ur refund if any.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details