Time frame for gift at the time of Marriage

Sir, I am a single male aged about 70 years. I am having a deemed daughter( Not legally adopted due to some legal constraints ) who is about 30 years old. Unfortunately she had divorced. Now she is remarried on 26th August 2020. She is in Jaipur and I am living about 200 Kms. away at Beawar. I wished to gift her my flat at Jaipur but due to COVID-19 crisis, I could not dare to go to Jaipur for the purpose. Now I wish to make the Gift deed in her name. Please suggest me that whether it shall be accepted by Income Tax Authorities after such delay. What is time frame normally in such cases. Should I go ahead and make the Gift deed now. Though I have made a will in her name for my all movable and immovable assets. But I apprehend any kind of legal challenge to my will by my brother or sisters, however, there is little chance but I wish to avoid any such circumstances. I know it will prove me little costly due to stamp duty etc.

Replies (5)
Quick Summary
A 70-year-old gentleman wishes to gift a flat to his 'deemed' daughter, who remarried in August 2020. He is concerned about the delay in executing the gift deed and its acceptance by Income Tax authorities. While gifts made on the occasion of marriage are generally not taxable, the key issue is the 'reasonable time frame' post-marriage for such a gift to be considered valid under tax law. The discussion explores whether the delay of over 1.5 months is acceptable and the potential tax implications.

She is not your legally adopted daughter. Any gift made by you to her will be taxable in her hands
As far as relative is considered she will not be your daughter.. And regarding the fact that is this treated as marriage gift, so the provision says on occasion of marriage and in my opinion it will not be considered as marriage gift..

Dear Mr, Amit Khare, this is a gift on the occasion of Marriage, therefore, such gifts are not taxable, whether it is given by relatives or non-relative persons. My concern is what is the time frame to give such gift under the Income tax law.

There are precedence as regards to your case. the gift may be made within reasonable time within 1 week to 1 month from the date of marriage

Sir, now it is passed more than one and half months, do you advise me to go ahead to make the Gift Deed. 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
10 October 2026
Accounts Associate Level 1

Abic and Mani Chartered Accountants

Kottayam

B.Com

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details