TDS - 16A - Notice From Department

pavan (CA Final) (148 Points)

20 July 2011  

Hi every body . . i expect any one to clarify my doubt & guide me the procedure to be followed in this aspect..Now waht my question is . . . ?

One of our client has issued Form 16A for professional Services rendered during the financial year 2008-09 (i.e.A.Y. 2009-10) and every thing is fine but 3 months back one of the receipient of FORM 16A from our client got Notice from Income Tax Department as Short payment of Tax ( he has filed his individual return based on TDS Deducted in Form 16A issued by our client )

The department issued notice to pay the differential amount. That person approached our client and asked for 26Q Acknowledgments (i.e.Quarterly Return) and corresponding Challans paid. now the the issue starts . .  our client has Acknowledgments for Q1 & Q2 only and no Acknowledgments for Q3 & Q4 for that corresponding year. They asked the person who filed their Quarterly Returns but data is not available with him also.

Our client has promptly paid the TDS amount with out any default and has the system generated Form 27 A and its annexures for all the 4 quarters.

Now my questions are :

1) How to get acknowledgment Copies or No.s for Q3 & Q4 ?

2) If not tracable then how to reply the notice issued by IT Department to close the issue ?

3) Can we do any thing with the help of Form 27A & Challan Copies available with us ?

Please guide me in this regard. waiting for as many replies as possible so that i can close this issue.

Thanking you.