Tax rebate u/s 80CCD(2)

I parked in Rs. 50K voluntarily in an NPS fund on 31st March 2021 to claim IT rebate u/s 80CCD(2). The units were, however, allotted on 6th April 2021. The fund manager, therefore, says that the investment is in FY 2021-22, and not in FY 2020-21 (the last day of FY 2020-21 when I really invested).

Just an hour after I invested in the aforementioned NPS fund, I also invested in a mutual fund to claim an IT rebate u/s 80C. The certificate that I got from this mutual fund house says that the investment is in FY 2020-21. That means, it considered my investment date as the date when I transferred money to them (FY 20-21); and not the date when the MF units were actually allocated on 4th April 2021 (that extends to FY 21-22).

If the latter MF considered my investment date as to when I transferred the funds, why cannot the former NPS fund house consider it? Are they right in their approach? Shouldn't the investment date be the date when I transferred money to them for investment?

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
A user invested in an NPS fund on the last day of FY 2020-21 for an IT rebate under section 80CCD(2), but the units were allotted in the next financial year. The fund manager claims this makes the investment fall into FY 2021-22. This contrasts with a mutual fund investment made shortly after, where the certificate reflected the actual transfer date (FY 2020-21) despite unit allotment in FY 2021-22. The user questions why the NPS fund manager can't adopt the same logic, arguing the investment date should be when the funds were transferred.

This can't be a reality.

I didn't get your point, Mr. Mukherjee.

What cannot be the reality?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details