Tax on bonus refund

I joined software company in April 2012 and received 1 Lakh joining bonus. Unfortunately I had to leave company in July 2012 and I returned joining bonus. In my Form 16 issued by employer 1 Lakh has been shown as my Gross Income, even though I have returned that back. I have certificate from employer that I have returned that amount and when employer gave me bonus in April 2012 tax was deposited to income tax department at 30% rate. 

I want some help to get that extra tax money. I am not sure how to show in ITR that I've returned that money back. Please help me.

Replies (1)

You will not be able to recover the TDS deducted by the employer on that extra 1 lac. However, you will need to speak to your employer and ask them to correct form 16 which is showing extra 1 lacs that does not form part of my gross salary, since you have already returned that amount. It is alright if they have deducted excess TDS. 

File ITR with the correct form 16, and then you can claim TDS excess paid over and above your tax liability.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details