Symbolism of Goddess Saraswathy for CA students

Mythreya (Finance IT & Accounting)   (2183 Points)

15 February 2010  

Dear Students,

I don't know how many of you are religious or pious.But I think one can learn from all religions atleast in a symbolic way even if one does not have any belief in God.

Though Im obviously a Hindu(Srividhya Upasaka in particular),I do learn about other religions too.I have even tried to memorize certain portions of the Hadiths and the Bible.

Any religion 'talks'/conveys deep concepts with symbols and even in religions like Islam where there are no explicit symbols,the communication is made through calligraphic writings to express the inner-divine.(Jihad ultimately is the inner-war against one's own evil and divisive forces within not an external war as both the Sufi Saint Jalaluddin Rumi and Kabeerji say).

On similar lines I found the symbolism in Saraswathy Ma interesting and most relevant for CA students.Once I read one line by Rakechaji that the Rudraksha Mala which She possesses indicates the "revision" aspect for CA studies.My analysis of the symbology is on similar lines.

If you look at the picture carefully.

She holds the Veena(Sacred Lute),which is symbolic of "Riyaz" or sAdhana or practice.But in NLP(Nuerolinguistic Programming) it indicates the auditory sense.To use the auditory sense be it in a Coaching class or studying at home aloud.As per NLP it is a fact that the more we use a combination of various senses for our study,the better it is.And also primarily some people are oriented the auditory way and some the visual way.Yet,the more one tries to synergize various senses,the more one can embed concepts in the subconscious mind with connections(Glia cells involved in this) more.

Then She holds a sacred scripttttture.This is nothing but an adherence to one single Reference book/Study material and actually seeing it.Thus Visual acumen is emphasized in it(NLP).

She holds the Rudrakshamala which according to me not only indicates sAdhana but also the Kinesthetic modology of it all.Some people like to repeat problems on their own(say Costing,Accounting,etc).Proficiency does not come merely by reading Accounting or Costing problems but by actually doing it.

She sits on a Paramahamsa.Symbolically, a "Paramahamsa" is different from an ordinary swan.It is a divine swan inasmuch as having the cognizance to seperate the milk from water.Mythically,it is a bird which is said to represent the discriminative faculty of one's mind.The student must possess the discriminative faculty in this course very much.

The student must be able to recognize and discriminate which books,Coaching centres,friends to associate,thoughts to build upon,etc.He must "sit upon" the discriminative faculty more for such a tough course.

Saraswathy Ma wears the white dress.Symbolically white refers to purity and a student must maintain purity of thought,word and conduct and avoid distractions atleast during his student time.The more distractions one has,the tougher it is to clear this course.This course is thus directly proportional to one's focus.

She has the left-leg raised up in VajrAsana(a HathayOgA asana) and this is symbolic of the Ida-Nadi(left-channel energy) being activated and this indicates the opening up of intuition too.Studies must not be purely a left-brained exercise but also a right brained exercise too.The right leg on the ground indicates,that the left-brain(Pingala Nadi) must be grounded.Or the student must also be grounded in perfect logic too.

I dont know how many would appreciate this symbological explanation given but atleast next time you see Saraswathy Ma's photo in your coaching centre or in a temple,you will remember and "anchor" in all these points narrated by me.

This was just my take on it and I don't know whether Im correct in my explanation meant to benefit students.I stand corrected if I have made any mistakes.

I humbly submit my wisdom at the Feet of my Master.

Om Saraswathyai Namah:

Mythreya