Tejpal Sheth (Practising company secretary-visiting fa) (1933 Points)27 December 2016
1) Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) in India has the highest number of listed companies in the world with an estimated 5,689 companies. National Stock Exchange (NSE) of India has around 1,750 companies.
2) The most expensive stock in world is the Warren Buffet’s Hathaway, Class A, which is priced at USD 2,13,330 per share. The reason for such a high price is that the company doesn’t splits the shares.
3) Sachin Tendulkar and the Indian National Cricket Team factors the performance of Stock market in India.There is sharp and significant decline in stock market prices the day after India loses a match. The fall in stock prices subsequent to loss is more than seven times the movement following a win by Indian Team.
And if Sachin Tendulkar is involved in the losing match, the market goes down further
(18% more compared to when he is not involved).
4) Almost 6000 of the companies shares are not traded or thinly traded. Activity is thus restricted to just around 3000 shares of listed and actively traded stocks.
5) U.S markets (S&P500 & Dow Jones Industrial Average) contracts can be traded in NSE. The derivatives contracts were introduced in 2011 & it was for the first time, S&P500 were listed on any exchange outside U.S.A
6) There are 17 stock exchanges in India. Out of which only 7 are permanent and rest 10 require their license to be renewed timely
7) The record low Sens*x has ever touched is 113.28 points in December,1979 and after 35 years, it touched the record high at 28822.37 in November, 2014.
8) Only 2% of Indian household savings are being directed to Equity markets, Indians are so risk-averse!
9) The board of directors of Microsoft tried to give each shareholder a Zune music player instead of a dividend in 2006, causing the share price to fall 99.97% until they changed their mind 18 minutes later. This was known as the ‘flaash crash.’
10) There is still hardly any participation from the people in the share market. With over 1.2 billion people in the country, only around 20 million have trading accounts.Most of them being inactive.