Stereograms - in revitalizing your senses

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha) (8842 Points)

15 October 2011  

Good Evening, Dear Friends !!!:)

Today I'm going to divert myself from the English Language and delve into another very inetersting as well as important subject - Psychology. Today's topic is Stereogram. This is what Wikipedia has to say about Stereograms.

A stereogram is pair of two-dimensional panels depicting the view of a scene or an object from the vantage points of the right and left eyes. Observing the panels superimposed in a stereoscope results in the experience of three-dimensionality by virtue of the fact that object depth is encoded as right/left position difference in the panels. Because in a stereoscope one views a representation rather than a real scene, the word illusion is sometimes associated with a stereogram.

Originally, stereogram referred to a pair of stereo images which could be viewed using a stereoscope. Other types of stereograms include anaglyphs and autostereograms. The stereogram was discovered by Charles Wheatstone in 1838. He found an explanation of binocular vision which led him to construct a stereoscope based on a combination of prisms and mirrors to allow a person to see 3D images from two 2D pictures. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. invented an improved form of stereoscope in 1861, which had no mirrors and was inexpensive to produce. These stereoscopes were immensely popular for decades.

I have the pleasure to share with you the following link of a website that exclusively with the subject.

https://www.eyetricks.com/3dstereo.htm

Hope it evokes interest in you.

And friends, please write a line or two about how do you feel about it.