Shattered, devastated, don't know what to do

Budding Professional (B.Com, CA & CS FINAL) (1686 Points)

16 January 2014  

Yesterday was the 5th time the bull came out of the ring and again thrashed me over in the Final round of the battle called Chartered Accountancy. This was my 5th appearance in the CA Final exams and yet again, I missed out. Obfuscated, devastated and dejected, I am clueless as to what to do now. I cleared CA PCC in May, 2011 and it was my third attempt. Had missed my earlier attempt by meagre 5 marks in aggregate. And as I was in the last six months of articleship by then, I was therefore eligible to appear for CA Final Nov 2011 exams. Not a single person advised me to appear me in that attempt. Also, it was busy season of August-September, so it was like taking foolishness to new heights deciding to appear for those exams. Taking the contrarian view, I filed the examination forms for both the groups. Even I knew about the consequence that I will face. But it was the motivation of clearing CA at the age of 20 and a half years that I did that. I had literally just one month, i.e October to prepare. I prepared and appeared in the exams. The results came and I had got 59 in IDT, 40+ in Audit and Law, about 35 in Costing in attemptation of around 66 odd. The total was 310 odd in both the groups, quite satisfying. Then came the May, 2012 attempt and I missed it again. More than the failure, it was the pain of not becoming CA at the age of 20 and a half and 21 that I felt. I decided not to go for a job and again appeared in Nov 2012 exams and failed again.Then came the May, 2013 and Nov, 2013 and it was the same FAIL.

I don't know what has happened, I am blinded by the outcome. Can't figure out what wrong is happening. Despite putting up the best each of the times, the outcome is same. What is even more annoying is the fact that my marks in the 5th attempt are least. I scored more in my first attempt than I scored in my fifth attempt. I can't imagine how this has happened.

In 2013, I worked with Airtel on a Fixed Term Contract for a quarter. I also got calls from Credit Suisse and HSBC, but as I was not a CA, I was rejected straightaway. All this was despite the fact that I had no reference anywhere. After failing in May 13, I stopped thinking of job and decided to focus entirely on CA Final. And I am shattered today at the outcome. I gave away 5-6 months of potentital job experience in anticipation of a qualification and at the end of it, both my hands are empty. In 2011, I was pursuing CA Final and its 2014 now, I am still pursuing CA Final. The only addition that I had in my profile during this time was that of CS-Executive and little bit of work experience with a bluechip.

I have tried everything now to the best of my capabilities. The concentration is not the same as it used to be earlier, the productivity has come down drastically and its very hard now to sit at home whole day and study. I am going out of my ways to decide how to clear this exam. Please suggest what should be the ideal way of preparation, how I should approach the subjects. I am thinking of skipping the May attempt and appear in Nov, because by that time the syllabus would have undergone changes and therefore will become somewhat interesting to study. Am I right in my move, please suggest.