Shall i file tax returns

Hi,

Can someone please clarify whether the current Assessment year is 2013-14 or 2012-13 and correspondingly the Financial Year is 2012-13 or 2011-12

I am confused because today I went to SBI Branch thinking that I had missed the PPF deposit for the last year (I last deposited the money in PPF account in April 2011) so I wanted to know the penalty applicable if any. That person told me there is no penalty since I deposited the money in April 2011, is this information correct?

Other than this the main issue is that I am currently unemployed.  So any money earned from 1st April 2012 to 20 March 2013 (today) is the interest earned on savings bank account and interest earned on FD. There is no other source of money, hence overall my total income is well below the lowest slab i.e Income up to Rs 5 Lacs. 

So I am bit confused if I should file Tax Returns or not. I am yet to get the TDS certificate from my bank (it should be with me in a day or two). Can someone please guide me what step should I take. If I am required to file Income Tax Returns which Form should I fill? And do I need a TDS certificate from bank irrespective of whether they have deducted any Tax or not.

Last year one of my friend was in similar situation, hence he didn't filed the returns last year, but he is mulling that he should have filed it. Can someone tell if he needs to file the returns at all? If yes can he do it now? Which forms he would be required to submit? And does he attracts any penalty for not filing it last year?

Looking forward to some answers and guidance.

Thank you.

 

Replies (3)

Financial year - April 2012 to March 2013   =  Assesstment year April 2013 to March 2014

We are currently in Finacial year 2013-13 and Assesstment year 2013-14

Assessment year is next to the financial year.

You should file your IT returns even if your income is below tax slab. It is good to maintain the records of your IT filing without any breaks. You can show your interest earned from saving accounts. And deposit Rs. 500/- in your PPF before 31st March because thats the minimum deposit you have to make each year.  

Thank you Mihir.

It will be of great help if you can please tell which form(s) I need to submit. Please also tell if my friend needs to submit the same form and any other form since he did not filed the returns last year.

Regards.

 

 

It will depend on the sources of your income. ITR 1 is to be used for income from salary.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details