Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

K.chandrasekaran (Partner)     02 July 2009

Service tax

My client is a small mutual  fund canvassing  agent whose  commission receipts are well below Rs 10 laks per year but the mutual fund companies  deduct the service tax in all payments to him & pays to central excise dept.My client being small assesse is also not liable to pay  any income tax.

He is not able to claim them as refund though he is not liable to collect and pay service tax.Thus the mutual fund company does not pay any service tax out of its income.

Is this correct & fair?

1 Replies

Madhukar N Hiregange

Madhukar N Hiregange (Chartered Accountant)     05 July 2009

The ST law has made the service recivers liable for payment of service tax. However these assesses are not eligible for the exemption of Rs. 10 Lakhs. It is legal and the reciver has to pay.

It is certainly not fair in my view to deny such people the exemption. This also ensures that crores of dealers/ small assessees are authomatically covered as even GTA has been made applicable to the consignor/ consignee. Making citizens break a lw which they do not even know exists.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register