boddupalli k n praneeth
04 May 2013
Secondment of Articled Assistants
Regulation 54 specifically provides for secondment of articles with a view to provide the articled assistant the opportunity of gaining practical experience in areas where the principal may not be in a position to provide the same. The Regulation also provides as under:-
• Secondment is allowed with the consent of the articled trainee.
• The articled assistant shall be seconded only to a member who is entitled to train one or more articled assistants in his own right or to a member in industry who is entitled to train one or more industrial trainees.
• The member to whom the articled assistant is seconded will not be entitled to train more than two such assistants on secondment at a time.
• The maximum period of secondment shall be one year which may be served with a single eligible member. The Council may permit secondment with more than one such member provided the minimum period of secondment shall be four months and the aggregate period served on secondment with such members shall not exceed one year. Where an articled trainee is seconded to a member in industry, the total period spent in industry including the period of Industrial Training should not exceed one year.
• During the secondment the member with whom the articled assistant is seconded shall be required to pay the stipend and is responsible for imparting training and maintaining records and also required to forward the records to the Principal on completion of period of secondment.
Apart from the secondment of a trainee from one firm to another firm or to an industry, firms may exchange trainees on mutual basis for a limited period to the advantage of firms and trainees. Such an arrangement is also quite flexible like the scheme of secondment and enables the firms to overcome deficiency, if any, in practical training imparted to trainees.