Second house self occupied

I am a retired senior citizen.
Earlier I was staying in self owned flat in Delhi.
Since last few years I have shifted to Gurgaon and I am staying in self owned house.
I have no housing loan liability.
My  Delhi flat is lying vacant since I shifted to Gurgaon.
Till now I have been considering Delhi flat as 'self occupied', and Gurgaon house as ' deemed let out', and have been paying Income Tax on deemed rental income.
In the interim budget presented in Feb 2019, relaxation has been given to consider second unoccupied/ vacant flat as 2nd self occupied house i.e. there would be no tax burden (under 'Deemed let out' category).
Is this relaxation applicable in my case as detailed above ?

Replies (2)
Quick Summary
A retired individual has moved to their self-owned house in Gurgaon, leaving their Delhi flat vacant. Previously, they paid income tax on the Delhi flat as 'deemed let out'. Following the February 2019 interim budget, they seek clarification on whether their vacant Delhi flat can now be treated as a second self-occupied property, thus avoiding tax. The discussion confirms this relaxation applies if no rent is being received and clarifies that conditions related to employment or profession under Section 23 are not applicable in this scenario.

Yes if u r not getting rent then you can take the relaxation.

Thanks for your reply.

In my case I have a doubt that Section 23 conditions are not being fulfilled.

As I am a retired person, there is no issue of employment/profession etc  as mentioned in section 23.

May please confirm that section 23 conditions are not applicable in my case.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details