Search for Truth-Being Logical

naresh (to be placed) (105 Points)

27 April 2011  

One famous personality said, ' Life is all about search for truth'. I wondered what truth is such a scarce resource to obtain. How can someone say a blunt lie and for that matter, how can we belive that what he is saying is truth so easily.

It took me some years to really understand the real meaning of that sentence.

Truth - means just knowing the fact of what happened and nothing else. If you say there is rose there and I also can see it, then it is a fact and that is truth. But we won't get those chances everytime. Rama killed Ravana. Can we believe it based on seeing alone? If it is the case, you can never believe Ramayana, as we can never see it. 

Then whats the use of logic in search of truth?

For eg: We can only believe the epic of Ramayana by finding some statements that can finally be concluded or result in the statement we are supposed to believe. Some strong evidence is required. The more the evidence, the more stronger we can believe it.

Why all this is required here?

CA-source of information or simply say CA-information. The real search for truth is done by us in case of financial statements. By gathering more and more evidences during the period of audit, we conclude our audit opinion. We will come across so many opinions passed by management or employees or government but we are the only ones' we can find the real truth.

Sometimes this one piece of note make me feel so great that my job is not a copy paste but all this is to find the real search for truth.

Why such a strong logical skills are required by chartered accountants?

I think now the answer is simple. To find the real truth out of so much of information, we need strong logical skills. Strong logical skills helps us to analyse the evidence with greater ease, efficiency and economy.

Some people fear of asking simple questions. Are you one of them and why should we ask even those simple questions?

You know the construction of a building. First pillars are important for any building. Strong foundation helps in strong output and better quality. Similarly, if we consider a piece of information and logically concluded something based on that information say those are pillars. Taking these concluded statements as evidences, you go for the conclusion of your second set of statements say constructing second floor. Just think if there are some false evidences which you have considered then just imagine the quality and durability of your logically constructed statements.

We, chartered accountants, give one simple statements-----in compliance with AS,AAS,etc. Giving that simple statement is very much easy but supporting that statement is sometimes impossible even for the person who have real understanding of facts to prove. Our big buildings, I mean statements, were supported by simple and very small statements. If we won't question them - their relevance, existence, reliability, we would be no more.

I have tons of examples but for you 1 or 2:

1)  Stock market in 2008: Every body hoped there would be no end for the increase in value of shares. No stock can sustain a value more than its true replacement cost. Those who missed the fundamentals were out of stock market in less time. Thats why there is a special type of investing called Fundamental Investing. Even analysts always say see fundamentals.

2) Just come up with an example then you can understand this very well.

Finally, being logical is so tough......

Yes, of course, its the toughest process.....

Finding something is not important but searching truth and its process are the most important. Don't go for conclusions but try to unearth the real truths. Those who found truth or those who spent their lives in search of truth have become the greatest human beings on earth...Galileo, Edison, etc

This can even be applied to your studies say Encryption means.....Many students study it but don't try to understand and see it in practical. This is also one of the reasons why everybody says be practical.

Last but not least, hindrances for being logical

1) Public Opinion: Public Opinion doesn't always mean it is right...Take example: Sun revolves around earth

2) Years of practice: Even your boss can be wrong. He might have experience but he cannot say x is y never.

3) Expert knowledge: If experts say something, people believe him blindly.....Prescripttion of a doctor to an illiterate. Doctors can also sometimes write wrong prescripttion

4) Friend' own experience: Truth doesn't have any friends. Fact is fact.

5) Less time: In case of no time, we jump into immediate conclusion without properly analysing things

They are much more hindrances

Thanks & Regards,

Truth and its search team

Be logical and fact finder