Easy Office
LCI Learning

Satyam Scam - your take

Page no : 3

(Guest)

Hello.....

I just want to know that what is the use of AS & AAS etc.

Paras (Job) (90 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

Institutional Investor Must go for legal action against Promoter(Personally)& Auditor.ICAI Must also put Inquiry against PWC.

Rahul (CA Practice ) (1818 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

My question is that what should a member in industry should do if Top management force him to do the wrong and unethical act.

Sambu Suresh (CA Job) (564 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

its time to wait patiently, I hope ICAI would come u with some strict regulations. I personally feel it is a wake up call to all regulation bodies. this situation is very dangerous than bombay attack.

But action should be taken only on detail investigation.

S.Suresh

1 Like

Sambu Suresh (CA Job) (564 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

One measure is to implement rotaion of auditors.

CA. Gurdeep Singh Chawla (C A) (7080 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

the balance sheet was signed by S .Gopalalkrishnan for PWC who is a central council member of ICAI.

priyanka narale (PCC student) (407 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

Originally posted by :Aisha
" I guess as always auditor will escape the punishment ..by hidin under the pretext that they dependent on the management confirmation and certification!!!!

Rarely u see auditor being holded liable in such cases i dont understand than what is the whole point of havin them if ther is no scope for punishin them when ther mistake causes loss to milions of share holders..

The provision that auditors are not bloodhounds is always misused!!!
If such things r happenin in such Huge organization just imagine how much these stuff must be happenin in small SME'sss .. wer ther is no media coverage!!! we all kno what i m talkin bout!!!

"

Mam, I completely agree with you.....

Ritesh Jain (CA, CS in Job) (675 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

It will lead to something similar to that which lead to Surbane Oxley Act.(SOX).

REMEMBER Anderson Case...!!!!!!!

CA. Gurdeep Singh Chawla (C A) (7080 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

PWC

piyush tiwari (article(pe2)) (22 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

management confirmation and certification!!!!wat a thought... then wat is the use all audit procedure rite from vouching ,ledger review and other stuff...BRS and other audit techniques recomended by ICAI...as the amount of scam is huge which was surely not b gone unnoticed. there is one joker in the middle of this scam 

i want to no who is tht ICAI,PWC or satyam mgt....

Nikhil Kumar (CA , Qualified CPA) (910 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

Its not easy for the auditors to trace any scam or error when the top level management is involved in the scam.

Its easy when it is conducted by lower level personnel

Shaily Jain (Chartered Accountants) (1054 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

seriously it's a big issue...n pwc..yes it's also responsible

Shaily Jain (Chartered Accountants) (1054 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

hey read also attach file

Attached File : 16 satyam computer services ltd 070109.pdf downloaded: 127 times

Prathamesh PARASHAR (Chartered Accountant) (64 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

It is disheartening that an Indian MNC faced this fate. In an age when we talk of 'Global India Takeover', this should not have happened to protect India's credibility.

What disturbs more is that the fact that books of accounts can be manupulated according to the whims of ONE MAN (Going by the text of the letter which is being circulated). This defeats the purpose of having a separation between management and ownership of the organisation. Hence, management's fault of having poor internal controls cannot be underemphasised.The gravity of the problem can be judged from the fact that  misstatement was existing for some years.

Though ICAI and other regulators would investigate the auditor's responsibility in detail, i dont think we have much to blame them because these days the auditor begins audit with the premise of Protecting Auditors' liability. Extensive documentation is done to defend himself , not with the intension to uncover suspicious activity. In this sense, dont you think the nature of profession has changed in the favour of mischiveous clients who can get away with frauds easily?

Sathyanarayana G (CA) (1121 Points)
Replied 07 January 2009

It is the greed of the investors expecting high returns, greed of the management expecting top position, greed of the stakeholders expecting huge rewards, greed of the auditors expecting more fees, greed of the competitors expecting fall of rival, greed of the media for breaking news, greed of us expecting better governance system. It is only GREED!!!!!!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: