Salary journal entries

My salary statement has the following heads

Gross salary, LOP, PF, ESI, Profession tax, net salary

When I want to book a salary in tally, how should I do it? should I book in gross salary or in net salary? If in gross salary what is the entry to be passed?
 

Replies (41)
Quick Summary
Salary should be recorded at gross amount with deductions like PF, ESI, TDS, and profession tax as liabilities. Entry: debit salary expenses, credit deductions and salary payable. On payment, debit salary payable and credit bank or cash.

Hi John,

 

You have to pass a entry for GROSS SALARY.

All the deductions show as a 'LIABILITIES'. When your company will pay these amounts to respective bodies, then deduct liability created by that payment.

 

But I didn't get the logic why you wanna credit net salary to 'Provision for Salary'. Net salary directly go to Cash / Bank account. If you want to show 'Salary Payable' then simply pass journal entry as -

Salary Account  DR

to Salary Payable A/c.

Entry for Salary Transaction should be done as per following:



At the time of Credit of Salary:


Basic Salary A/c         Dr.

HRA A/c                     Dr.

Trpotation Allowance   Dr.

Spl All                        Dr.

       To  PF A/c

       To ESIC A/c

       To Professional Tax A/c

       To TDS A/c             

       To Salary Payable A/c

_______________________________________


At the time of Payment:


Salary Payable  A/c  Dr

     To Cash/ Bank


At the time of credit of gross salary the entry is

                       salaries and wages a/c Dr

                                   To BAsic pay

                                   To Pf

                                    To ESi

  salaries and wages figure will directly goes to the prifit andv loss account to reduce pofit

                                               And

at the time of payment debit all credit items to cash or bank account

We sdould show the gross salary transations in the tally books

Dear John,

I am agree with Rajesh

I also agreed with Rajesh

I agree with Rajesh

Hi John,

I agree with Mr Rajesh

Hi Jhon,

Along with Mr. Rajesh.

 

Basic Salary             Dr.

Allowances              Dr.

Company Contribution to EPF Dr.

Company Contribution to EPS

Administration Charges to PF DR.

Company contribution to ESIC Dr.

         To EPF Payable

         To EPS Payable

         To ESIC Payable

         To Professional Tax Payable

         To TDS Payable

          To Labour welfare fund Payable

        To Loan to Employee

          To Salary Advance to Employee

           To Rent Recovery 

           To Canteen Expense

          To Salary Payable

I agree with Rajesh

salary a/c dr

cr salary payable

 

Rajesh is absolutely right!! Go ahead with what he has suggested.

I agree with rajesh            

SIR, HOW TO DO JOURNAL ENTRY OF SALARY IN TALLY WITHOUT USING PAYROLL BUT WITH NAME

Pz.. help me

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details