Rental agreement

My wife and I are joint owner of our residential flat. We would like to rent out to a company for long term lease of 3 years.

I am traveling abrode for business so my wife will be signing the agreement and ll do ragistration too.

my question is:

1) my name will not  be in agreement, can I still claim rental income & exp.I am sure it ll be a loss as my income is less than my EMI payments. Do we need to split in 50%.

2) I am in paying almost 10lacs in income tax alone due to high income, how can i take benifit of above senario

3) the company ll deduct TDS but I told them that i want net amount as I dont know if I am eligible to claim TDS. is form 1 necesary to claim TDS dedction?


 

Replies (3)

Assumpstions - You & your wife both are equal owners of property - say 50% each.

1 You will have to give your wife authority to sign on your behalf through proper Agreement.

2. Both will taxed in equal proportion of rent recd.

3. TDS will be deducted of both of you in equal share as you will get rent in equal share

Regards CA Amit Otwani

 

Suppose in above case lease amount exceeds Rs. 10 lacs then who will be liable to pay service tax??

And whether service tax exemption would be separately for both husband and wife??

Exemption limit is available to both of them separately.

Even if total rent is above 10 lacs & below 20 lacs - no service tax

Regards CA Amit Otwani

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Article Assistant

SGNG & Associates

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details