Question regarding Closing US bank account

I am an Indian national and between 2002 and 2004 I worked in USA in L1 Visa, paid taxes and then returned to India after that. I have been living India since then, as a resident Indian, but my bank account in USA is still active.
I intend to close it now and wish to wire transfer the money into my local Indian bank account. The money has been in a normal SB account (checking account) so the interest earned is 0.1% which did not attract any taxes in USA and hence I have not filed US taxes after I stopped earning in the US and returned to India. But for the earnings in India, since 2004 till now, I have been a prompt tax payer as a resident Indian.
Is it better that I disclose the US bank account details in this AY 2022-23 IT (Income tax filing) and then initiate the transfer?
I have not included this US bank details in any of my previous years IT filing.

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
An Indian national who previously worked in the US is looking to close their active US bank account and transfer the funds to India. They are seeking advice on whether to disclose the account in their current Indian tax filing (AY 2022-23) and how to handle the transfer, considering they haven't filed US taxes since leaving. Experts suggest voluntary disclosure and reporting any interest earned, with one user recommending a gift transfer via a relative to simplify the process.

You can voluntary disclose in AY 2022-23 return. Also, offer the interest income in your Indian Tax Return and pay taxes on it.

Reporting is required to be on a conservative side. Whether you close the account or not is secondary to your reporting requirements.

I would suggest wiring the money to a sibling or parent or other close relative in India or abroad. And then wiring it to your account in India by classifying it as a gift. 

Since its going to be a one-time activity, this solves all the problems without complicated disclosure and lingering doubts.

It's what I did a few years ago.

Dear CA Raj Doshi sir and other experts, 

what will be the purpose code for a wire transfer that is done for such a transaction? 

For easy reference the context is: 

I am an Indian national and between 2002 and 2004 I worked in USA in L1 Visa, paid taxes and then returned to India after that. I have been living India since then, as a resident Indian, but my bank account in USA is still active. I intend to close it now and wish to wire transfer the money into my local Indian bank account.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details