Query on tax filing

Hi,
I am a salaried employee, and I did just one derivatives trading last year which resulted in total loss of the invested amount. Since this was a single transaction, can this be declared in ITR-2 under Capital Loss in section "Schedule-A5"? If so, how exactly this should be declared?

Regards.

Replies (6)
Derivative trading cannot be taken u/h Capital Gains. It has to be chargeable u/h Profits and Gains from Business or Profession.

It was just one time - an Option (CE) bought and expired, resulting in total loss (of around 40K). I did not even sell it.

Income u/h Profits and Gains from Business or Profession can be divided into two types of businesses viz., speculative and non-speculative businesses. Trading in Derivatives or F&Os is treated as non-speculative business.
Irrespective of volume, the income from derivative or F&O trading has to be taken u/h Profits and Gains from Business or Profession after allowing for all necessary expenses as deductions.

I understand that it should be, as per guidelines, filed under ITR4. In my case, I have already filed it under ITR2 (AY17-18) under ScheduleCG (sl.no. A.5.b(i) -Cost of Acquisition w/o Indexation). Now, I have received a notification that ScheduleCG - sl.no.A.5.a (Full value of Consideration) cannot be "0", which is proper for my case (the Option was bought at 40K and expired which means full value of consideration is "0"). How should I rectify/respond to this notification?

Could some Expert help me with my query?

Regards.

Hi,

Would greatly appreciate an Experts' advice here...

Thanks in advance.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Article Assistant

SGNG & Associates

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details