Presumative Taxation for salary and professional income

I am working as a software professional with salary of 5Lakhs per annum and I am doing a freelancing job which also fetching me 5 Lakhs per annum(profit is more than 50%). Will I be able to take the benefit of 44AD?
What will be I total Taxable Income?
Do I need to maintain a book of accounts?
Is it legal or illegal to take benefit if I have both salary and professional income?

Thanks
Vignesh

Replies (7)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies presumptive taxation rules for individuals with both salary and freelance income. While salary income is taxed normally, freelance professionals can potentially use Section 44ADA to declare 50% of their receipts as taxable income. Having salary income does not prevent you from opting for 44ADA for your professional earnings, and maintaining books of accounts might be necessary depending on your specific circumstances.

No you cannot go for 44AD to compute your income. in your case income will be determined as per books of accounts.
Section 44AD is for Business and Section 44ADA for profession , So if you are professional , you can not opt for 44Ad.
Yes books of accounts should be maintained.
You can go with 44ADA for freelancing income vignesh ji and you have to offer a minimum 50% of freelancing receipts as your professional income.
I saw your another question may be due to wrong question you asked earlier again you are asking right??

in this case your gross total income will be 7.5L (5L+2.5L(50% of 5L)).

Can you please explain me why am I not able to take benefit of 44ADA? Is it because I have income from salary as well as freelancing?  Can I take presumptive taxation only for my freelancing amount?

Obviously you can go with 44ADA as software profession is a specified profession as per act to opt for 44ADA. having salary income doesn't prevent you from taking 44ADA benefit.

Hi Vignesh,

 

Salary income doesn't cover u/s 44 ADA  hence your full salary is taxable i.e 4.50 Lac (5 Lac -50 K  standard deduction)

 

50% of your freelancer income is taxable u/s 44 ADA i.e 2.50 LAC

 

HENCE YOUR TOTAL TABALE INCOME IS 7 LAC RS.  you can take benefits of HRA , 80C, 80D, 80G 

 

IT CAN BE A ZERO-TAX LIABILITY UPON YOU. SO PLAN ACCORDINGLY 

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details