Post Office MIS & NRI

Hello,

I was deemed an NRI few years back, according to Income Tax laws, because I had to be outside India for employment purposes for more than 184 days in a financial year. I had opened a Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (MIS) account when I was back in India. Honestly, back then, I wasn't even aware what constituted an NRI in the eyes of IT dept as we always believed NRIs were those who left India & had no intention of returning as a citizen. Consequently, I wasn't aware of the restrictions on NRI investments in India. I only recently learned while browsing online that NRIs are not allowed to invest in Post Office Savings schemes including MIS & other time deposits!! As of now, I am again a Resident because in FY 2020-21 I was home due to the global pandemic & my stay in India is now more than 182 days in the FY.

 

1. What are my options now? Should I prematurely close the MIS account? Should I wait for its Maturity?

 

2. Can I still open a Post Office MIS account if I become a 2nd account holder in a Joint account for MIS along with one of my Resident Sisters? Thank you for your time and help.

CS.

 

Replies (7)
Quick Summary
This discussion addresses the eligibility of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) for Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (MIS) accounts. The original poster, who was previously an NRI due to overseas employment, is seeking clarification on whether they were allowed to hold an MIS account and what their options are now that they have become a resident again. The conversation explores premature closure versus waiting for maturity, and the possibility of opening a new joint MIS account with a resident sibling.

I do not think that there is restriction on NRI to open MIS in PO.

Pl read the attached file

@ Anil Jain Thank you for the response. My query in the first post arose because of the information given in the following articles. Will you please quickly check them & give your input?

https://www.goodreturns.in/news/2013/04/30/can-nris-invest-nsc-ppf-other-posst-office-schemes-172143.H T M L

https://www.policybazaar.com/life-insurance/investment-plans/articles/post-office-monthly-income-scheme/

https://www.goodreturns.in/news/2013/04/30/can-nris-invest-nsc-ppf-other-posst-office-schemes-172143.H T M L

Please remove the spaces between the H T M L in the above link. 

I don't know how but I guess the website put those spaces.

 

the link you provided is not working

Do not get confused, I have provided the rules of govt of India.

 

Hello Anil Sir,

The links are working but the forum is putting space in the last part of the link making it inaccessible.

You will reach the link by simply searching the following in Google.

"Can NRIs Invest In NSC, PPF And Other Post Office Schemes?"

The second lnnk works fine as is.

https://www.policybazaar.com/life-insurance/investment-plans/articles/post-office-monthly-income-scheme/

Thank you.

NRI are not allowed to invest in post office savings schemes.

 wait for its Maturity

you can still open a Post Office MIS account as now you are not NRI.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details