Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

PCC - How should I read Company Law ?

VUELVE (CA- Student) (346 Points)

10 March 2010  

Hey Friends,

I wanted to read Law and that too Company Law but the thing that is bothering me is the language used. Should we use the same language in the exams too ? For example characterstics of a company, say these are some characterstics - Perpetual succession, management and ownership is different etc., like this some 10 to 12 points are there, and i'm not able to remember all these points. I'm able to understand the concept but the thing is should i used the same language used in the text books or any reference books ? Can i write in own language as i understood concept ?

Company Law for me is easy to understand but difficult to put it on paper, so give me some suggestions as to how should i read the topics ? Where as Bonus act, gratuity, PF, Business Law seems to be simple and can remember, the problem is with Company Law and also the Negotiable Instruments act too. 

Negotiable Instruments act is also a typical topic which is not easy to understand and if understood, then if i read another topic then easy to forget too...!! Few concepts are easy few are difficult.

Please give me some ideas to read them. I can't lose marks on such great topics.

Thank You...!

12 Replies

CA Dhiraj Ramchandani (CA, M. com) (10818 Points)
Replied 10 March 2010

Ofcoarse u can use ur own language...

I mean, the language, still should be formal and in context to question only.. No need to write hypazardly or whatever "YOU" think should be the part of answer.. You need to write answer to the point or some point here n there...

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)   (114664 Points)
Replied 10 March 2010

Please find below some tips to deal with law paper 

1.   Use Scanner from the very beginning. It helps you to recognize which chapter is to be given preference. Prepare a list of Chapter wise frequently asked questions from the Scanner and prepare them properly.

2.   Try and develop a sense to figure out excess study material from the exam point of view and cross that material immediately in your book. Study Material provided by the institute is not updated most of the times and full of totally irrelevant material/theory.

3.   If you have time prepare your own notes to learn properly only for important topics along with frequently asked question’s solution.

4.  As per my opinion you shouldn’t ask anybody about the relevance of quoting sections in Exams. It is off course extremely useful in law subjects especially in CA Exams. Try and quote section in your exams without any hesitation. Prepare a special strategy for remembering sections. If you make it a habit now it will 100% pay at the time of your final preparation.

5.  Don’t play with the language of law specially Definitions. It is strongly recommended to put the definition in the exact language. However you can take slight liberty while drafting your answer in respect of other law language but the context, texture, interpretation and meaning should not be changed.

6.  Work out on your presentation and writing skills.

7. Don’t use different notes for one topic. Finalise your notes before starting final Examination preparation and stick with them.   

8.  10 Days before examination date do not add any new topic in your schedule. Just focus on revision-revision and revision.

9.  Time saving method: As per my opinion in theory paper you should attempt flat questions first. After that attempt practical problems. Like in Audit or Law first attempt short notes or distinctions etc. In the beginning if you attempt practical problems first then there may be wastage of time in reading the problem twice or thrice.

10. Make Point & give heading: In other words write your answer to the point. Try and convert the paragraphs in to points and give them a heading like I am giving in this Article. However if during exam you have no time then avoid this practice. But it’s a very good technique of theory presentation.

Best Regards

7 Like

Replied 10 March 2010

I am still using these tips:

1.  Very Important Revision Tips: What you prepare on Monday try and recall it on Tuesday without using books. If you are able to recall 60%-70%, then you are 100% going to succeed in this examination. Again try to recall the same after the gap of 2-3 days.

2.  Use abbreviation method. If you have 10 points to remember in a question give them a certain abbreviation and remember that abbreviation. See the example below:

In section 293 of Companies Act, 1956 there are 5 clauses from (a) to (e). My abbreviation to remember these 5 clauses is “SRIBC”. S=Sell/R=Remit/I=Invest/B=Borrow/C=Contribute. Have a look at Section-293 and verify yourself.

3.  Strategy/technique to prepare Section in Company Law: 1. First read the Section from Bare Act as bare act contain the pure law passed by legislature. 2. Then read the same section from your law book (Munish Bhandari). 3. Now it is the turn of your coaching notes. Read them thoroughly. 4. Now read all the previous exam problems based on that particular section from book.

If you follow the above 4 points carefully and honestly then you may consider your section finished for life. Believe me and try this method.

4. ATLAS STUDY METHOD: This method is completely developed and named by me and is extremely helpful for fetching good marks. ATLAS STANDS FOR “AT LAST”. There are always some questions, formulas, Sections and case laws which we simply fail to recall in exam hall. According to this method if you find anything very difficult to remember then after preparing the same topic once or twice put it in the ATLAS. Keep putting difficult topics in ATLAS till exam date. There would be a different ATLAS for law, audit, accounts etc. Now 1.5 hour before leaving your home for examination hall open ATLAS question list and revise it properly or give it a special reading. Now if you find any question from ATLAS in the exam paper it would be very easy for you to answer as you specially revise it just 2-3 hours back and your confidence level will automatically increase in the beginning of exam. What say???

5.  Keep review your ATLAS list and modify it accordingly. If initially you put any question in ATLAS and now you are confident enough about that particular question you can remove that question from ATLAS. Don’t put easy and non important questions in ATLAS as this concept is for revising extra-ordinary important questions just 2-3 hours before examination. If you need any help understanding this method please let me know.

7 Like

Replied 10 March 2010

Thanks for the gesture.

1 Like

Ajay kumar (assistant) (481 Points)
Replied 10 March 2010

Just purchase book of G.K . Kapoor Read this deeply Two time  . That sufficient   .

SIDHARTH DHIR (senior articled assistant)   (623 Points)
Replied 11 March 2010

Three tier study

1. READ MODULE THOROUGHLY (DONT TRY TO MEMORIZE)

2. READ FROM MUNISH BHANDARI / G.K KAPOOR / COACHING NOTES.

3. PREPARE OWN MASTER NOTES.

4. TRY TO RECALL EVERYTHING ON SUNDAYS.

5. MEMORISE ONLY FROM YOUR OWN NOTES..... IT WILL BE EASY FOR YOU.

Sharad Suman Das (art) (141 Points)
Replied 11 March 2010

dear friend

just go and purchase a scanner first and if u want know how to write answers in the examination then purchase a solved scanner.

Further it is not necessary to memorise every thing but try to understand the actual concept.

if u are appearing in may 2010 examination the also follow Revision Test Papers

CA Hemang Shah (PRACTICE) (658 Points)
Replied 11 March 2010

hey do smart work. in law do only practical question and in communication refer only 1st and last 2 chapter. i do this and i got 70 marks...........ok.

Prasanth Nair V (ACA,ACS,CWA Final,Mcom) (557 Points)
Replied 11 March 2010

Hai,

Just study the Law as it is from any good book.

If posssible read with section wise. it will help u to remember the provisions in the exact sense, which will help u out in exams...

Replied 11 March 2010

Dear Friends,

Please find below a list containing some of the important sections for PCC law. This list is based on my understanding. I would request you to share your opinion regarding the relevancy of this list and make it a comprehensive list by your further suggestions.

1. Section- 17A-change of regd. Office within a state.

2. Section- 21-Change of name of the company

3. Section- 35- conclusiveness of COI

4. Section- 45

5. Section- 53- service of documents on member by company

6. Section- 56, 57 and 58-Prospectus

7. Section- 58A and 58AA – Deposit

8. Section- 60A and Section 60B

9. Section- 77A- Buyback of shares

10. Section- 78- Issue of share on premium

11. Section- 79- Issue of share on discount

12. Section- 79A-  Issue of sweat equity shares

13. Section- 81- Right issue of capital

14. Section- 108-Transfer of shares

15. Section- 125-Registration of charge

16. Section- 149-Restrictions on commencement of business

17. Section- 163-Place of keeping registers

18. Section- 166-AGM

19. Section- 169-EGM

20. Section- 171- Length of notice

21. Section- 174-Quorum of the general meeting.

22. Section- 176-Proxy

23. Section- 187

24. Section- 192A- Postal ballot

25. Section- 193-Minutes

26. Section- 208- Payment of interest out of capital

Best Regards

Shikha Sharma (Chartered Accountant) (311 Points)
Replied 11 March 2010

According to my experience, compilations of previous year papers help a lot for understanding the scheme of answers...

pratyusha (pcc) (41 Points)
Replied 27 August 2010

Thanq so much

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register