Easy Office
LCI Learning

Online Mode Efiling New Portal - Errors noted

Page no : 3

Rajesh (NA) (248 Points)
Replied 20 September 2021

send an email to fmo at nic dot in.  mail id of finance minister

In my view that efilingwebmanager mail id is fake. The mails are routed to trash from therein.

J S BHAVSAR (CONSULTING) (1288 Points)

Originally posted by : Naveen Tuteja
I have been in IT industry for last 35 years. It is a fact that it is next to impossible to build complex system which perfect in the first instance. I will not delve into the reason for this hypothesis. However, organisation develop methods which reduce the imperfections in the delivered system. First and foremost is common user interface standards which includes, color schemes, look and feel, controls for add/modify/delete  actions, common methods for decimal handling for rounding off (in case of financial computations) etc. because complex applications are developed by multiple teams and if there are no common standards, each screen will behave differently and the user will not be able to use the application. In this Infosys has failed in either defining the required standards or validating whether or not the standards were followed at the time of unit and system testing. It definitely has been poor show, that system was released with so many severity 1 bugs.

I am 23+ into this industry. There are multiple level problems which are invisible or grey areas:

1) What was the detail level requirement for JSON application given to vendor? How were the requirements given to them by the government department and to what level of detail?

2) Did the vendor validate the requirements and conduct gap analysis?

3) What was the kind of skill level of the team deployed by the vendor?

4) What was the depth and coverage of Unit testing done?

5) What was the depth and coverage of System Integration Testing?

NOTE: I see grey areas in both 4 and 5 with vendor might claim root cause as 1)

6) Did the income tax department who is the client actually conduct regular business reviews and regular acceptance tests on the application? If not, why was 7th June 2021 chosen for the Go Live?

Other questions that galore:

a) Why did the income tax department feel the need to build a new portal? Just because the new elected government hates web portals developed by previous elected government, the new elected government gets a right to demolish all old portals and build new portals? See examples

First the IRCTC portal was change

Second was the UAN portal for private provident fund that was replaced with huge chaos

Third portal to change is the Income Tax portal that was working superfine from 2008.

b) Why was faster processing not possible in old portal?

c) Why was faster refund credit not possible in old portal?

d) What is the guarantee that new portal will process returns in 1 day and credit refunds in 3 days?

And last but not the least

Who will ask these hard questions to the elected government? Does the 55 member opposition have these skills?

1 Like

subhash agarwal (21 Points)

See the quality of software.

Filed ITR 2 on 30th July, e- verified & got acknowledgement certifying sucessful e verified along with msg.saw on 9th Sept, it was showing   itr filed-- pending for verification  sucessful e verified but surprised to see on 18th Sept as it shows itr filed-- successfully e verified -- pending for verification.how it has changed & see the flow parh.

More than 50 days have passed but still even not under processing.

1 Like

Rajesh (NA) (248 Points)
Replied 21 September 2021

I would have accepted all this chaos had there been less than 5 day processing of returns after doing all this new portal thing. But months go by and things don't move even on new portal. What's the point in just changing the interface and technology when it does not yield any benefits? Earlier portal was well established and without any errors. I never had to contact anyone for any support. 

Originally posted by : Rajesh
I would have accepted all this chaos had there been less than 5 day processing of returns after doing all this new portal thing. But months go by and things don't move even on new portal. What's the point in just changing the interface and technology when it does not yield any benefits? Earlier portal was well established and without any errors. I never had to contact anyone for any support. 

Exactly, but such questions are to be asked by opposition or CAG to the sitting government. Moreover, the most crucial stakeholders are the 8 Lakh CAs of India and 9.5 crore users, and no one is protesting. Clear signs that democracy functions are not being played the way they should be played out.

Ideally, the person who gives a 15th September deadline should on the 16th September morning reach office and take stock of the situation by asking staff officers:

a) how many errors were present on 23 Aug when the vendor was given the 15th Sep deadline

b) how many of total errors have been resolved, how many are open?

c) how many new issues have been opened after 23 Aug?

d) How many open issues are present and how many glitches are present on 16th Sep morning?

Once such data is available to the person in authority, they should have called press conference on 16th Sep 4pm and address the nation on what was achieved by calling the CEO to cabin and tell the nation what has improved and what has not?

Why did the above steps not happen? No one questioning?

1 Like

Rajesh (NA) (248 Points)

I am sure while fixing a set of issues they would create a new set of issues. I was under a wrong impression that Infosys has creame layer when it comes to software talent in India. Now it's clearly proven wrong.

Originally posted by : Rajesh
I am sure while fixing a set of issues they would create a new set of issues. I was under a wrong impression that Infosys has creame layer when it comes to software talent in India. Now it's clearly proven wrong. 

In whatever history of software applications exists for last 30-35 years, it has been proven that any new software application always will take lot of time to stabilise. Several software applications have a rough ride. Even the government's newly launched IRCTC software took lot of time to stabilise and improve and what you see today is a junk product with very large font. Their idea was to destroy the original earlier IRCTC portal that was functional upto 2015 and bring a new one that ended up with issues related to OTPs and other stuff. The Provident Fund new UAN portal was such a big mess that all 6 crore members had to redo their KYCs because the older KYCs were done on the previous portal that was created by previous elected government.

In software industry, what matters is quality of requirements, stability of requirements, testing landscape and quality of technical skilled resources. Apart from that what matters is the "will power" of the client and the software vendor. If the will power is missing, nothing much can be achieved.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: