Notice under section 139(9)

Anil (eng) (24 Points)

04 November 2014  

Hi Experts, I have received a Notice under section 139(9). The notice has an error code as "38" and error descripttion as "Tax determined as Payable in the return filled by you has not been paid".

Upon checking the ITR form filed by me, i found that i have entered "ITR - Income from Salary" as " Form 16 - Gross Salary without HRA deduction" instead of "Form 16 - Income Chargeable under the head 'Salaries'" (I do not have any income apart from salary). As "Gross Salary" (without HRA deductions) is greater than "Income Chargeable under the head salaries" (with HRA deductions), there was "Tax Payable" amount pending in my return. With out noticing all these issues, i have filed the return, as a result of this i have received a Notice under section 139(9) to pay the remaining the tax.

I am not sure what do now,

- Can i file the "e-File in response to notice under section 139(9)", with the corrected "ITR - Income from Salary", with "Form 16 - Income chargeable under the head salaries" (instead of Gross Salary) ? Any supporting documents to be sent like Form 16 etc... ?

- If not the above what else can i do, to avoid paying the tax requested as per the notice?

Experts, Please help me with my problem, as i have been notified that I should respond in fifteen days.