Notice under section 139

Dear experts,

I have received a notification under section 139 saying that the income tax office has information through AIR that I have entered into a high value financial transaction without quoting my PAN. They have asked me to furnish my PAN.

That is not an issue as I can easily do that. However, the letter has my name spelt wrong and even the address is wrong and differs from what I have on my PAN and on the income tax records. It reached me because the postman knows my name. Also the letter is dated December 2012 and it has got to me now. So I am a little suspicious of the letter. How can I ascertain whether its a genuine letter because I have quoted my PAN in all my transactions and filed my return accordingly.

Can you please advise how to best proceed.

Replies (1)

you have two option

1. do nothing till they himself tell you to do something

2. go to the dept say some one else notice dept sent to you becasue the name and address mention in the notice is not me and postman wrongly given to me.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details