LTCG from sale of MF units

I want to sell some MF units which I have been holding for over 10 years. If there is going to be some LTCG (loss or profit) where should I mention it in ITR 2 ? I know that I have to fill Schedule 112A  in case of  sale of shares and it automatically gets carried to CG Schedule.

Replies (4)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies how to report Long Term Capital Gains (LTCG) from the sale of Mutual Fund (MF) units held for over 10 years within ITR 2. It explains that Schedule CG, specifically Part B for LTCG, is the relevant section. While Schedule 112A is used for equity shares, information for MF units can be obtained from sources like Moneycontrol for Fair Market Value (FMV) as of January 31, 2018, and capital gains statements from brokers. Remember that LTCG up to £1 lakh is tax-free, with a 10% tax applicable thereafter.

You have to fill itr 2 if you are a salary person or you have income from other source. holding 10 means its a LTCG. up to 1 lakh there will be no tax but after 1 lakh 10% of the ltcg will be levied

Thanks for the quick reply. I found that in ITR 2, I have to fill Schedule CG. This  contains Part A for STCG and Part B for LTCG. In part B, item 4 is for sale of equity shares or equity oriented funds. The data for item 4 comes from Schedule 112A. But Schedule 112A seems to concern only Equity shares   because one of the important columns relates to Fair Market Value of the capital asset/unit sold. How do I get the information on the FMV  of MF units?

You can get FMV as on 31st Jan 2018 from money control website. Also when you will actually sell the mutual funds you can ask for Capital gain account statement from your broker. It will contain the entire computation of capital gain as required to be filled in ITR.

Thank you, Mr. Manthan. The information you provided will be useful when I sell some units.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details