Loan from NRI to resident parent

Hi, I am an NRI and have some cash in my NRO account in India. The source of these funds is from my remittances from my post-tax overseas income.

I am looking to transfer this as a lump-sum to my father as a loan. He is a retired person with pension income. He is an income tax assesee for his pension income and investment income. 

He may return it to me in the next 1-2 years through payment to my NRO account. I will not be doing overseas repatriation of this repaid amount. I will use it for my expenses and investments in India or retain it in my NRO account. 

I have the following questions:

1. Is there any restriction/prohibition on me (as an NRI) making a loan (approx 15L) to my resident father like this? 

2. Is there any permission required from RBI or any other authority?

3. Does my father have to declare this loan in his IT returns? 

4. Should a loan agreement be done for this on stamp paper?

5. When my father returns the amount as repayment, will this attract any TCS if it is returned to my NRO account and I don't repatriate the amount overseas?

 

Replies (1)

1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes, if ITR 3 filed. Otherwise no option.

4.Not mandatory, but an affidavit may be made in case of any query.

5. No.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details