Lessons for life.

CA Preeti Agarwal (article) (844 Points)

10 June 2012  

Don't be afraid of taking risks or of being criticized.  An anonymous sage said, "If you don't want to be criticized don't say anything, do anything, or be anything."  Don't be afraid of failing.  It's the way you learn to do things right.

Remember and help others remember that the fellowship of human beings is more important than the fellowship of race and class and gender in a democratic society.  Be decent and fair and insist that others be so in your presence.  Don't tell, laugh at, or in any way acquiesce to racial, ethnic, religious, or gender jokes or to practices intended to demean rather than enhance another human being.

Be confident that you can make a difference.  Don't get overwhelmed.  Sometimes when I get frantic about all I have to do and spin my wheels, I try to recall Carlyle's advice:  "Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand."

"Slow down and live" is an African song I sing inside my head when I begin flitting around like a hen with her head wrung off:  "Brother slow down and live, brother slow down and live, brother slow down and live, you've got a long way to go.  Brothers love one another, brothers love one another, brothers love one another, you've got a long way to go."

Choose your friends carefully.  Stay out of the fast lane, and ignore the crowd.  You were born God's original.  Try not to become someone's copy.

Listen for "the sound of the genuine" within yourself and others.  Meditate and learn to be alone without being lonely.  "Small," Einstein said, "is the number of them that see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."  Try to be one of them.

You are in charge of your own attitude--whatever others do or circumstances you face.  The only person you can control is yourself.  Worry more about your attitude than your aptitude or lineage.

Define Happiness

What is your definition of a happy life?  Are you living it?  Think carefully on this because your definition of happiness will influence every other significant decision in your life.  For example, if you think happiness is outside you, you will make happiness into a search, a catch, or a reward that you must earn. If, however, you know happiness is inside you then happiness becomes a compass, a teacher, and an enabler that helps you to live your best life.

Accept Yourself

Without self-acceptance, you will limit and block how much happiness, prosperity, love, and success you will enjoy.  The miracle of self-acceptance is that if you are willing to accept that happiness already exists in you, you will begin to experience more happiness around you.

Follow Your Joy

There is a world of difference between searching for happiness and following your joy.  Following your joy is about listening to your heart’s desires, noticing what truly inspires you, and recognizing your soul’s purpose.  A good starting point is to reflect on the question “When am I at my happiest?”  

Choose Happiness

Try to find the place in your mind where you have already decided how good today will be, how good this year will be, how good your life will be.  Are you happy with your decision?  Set a positive intention right now to let today be even more enjoyable than you thought it was going to be.

Forgive NOW

Sometimes in order to be happy now you have to be willing to give up all hopes for a better past. Living happily ever after starts with forgiveness. You can’t keep carrying a grievance and hope to be happy. Happiness is a gift you give yourself because it sets you free.

Vocal Gratitude

Say out loud three things you are grateful for. Do this right now, before you go on reading this article. Gratitude is often referred to as the shortest shortcut to happiness.  The more grateful you are, the happier you will feel. 

Be Present

Living in the “not now” is a chief cause of unhappiness. In the English language, the word “present” has three distinct meanings:  “here”, “now” and “a gift”.  The more present you are in each moment, the more happiness you will find.

How we start our day is often how we live our lives.
How we start our day is often how we live our lives.

What do you say when you first look in the bathroom mirror? What do you say when you take a shower? What do you say when you get dressed? How do you leave your house for work? Do you just run out or do you say something nice. And what do you do when you get into the car. Do you slam the door and growl that you have to go to work?

I would like you to start your day tomorrow with an affirmation. When you first wake up and open your eyes, here are some affirmations you can say:

Good morning, bed. Thank you for being so comfortable, I love you.

Darling (your name), this will be a blessed day.

I am a gift to the world.

There are great experiences coming my way today.

Life loves me!

And when you get up and look in the bathroom mirror, I’d like you to say these affirmations:

Good morning Darling. I love you. 

We are having a great day today.

You are a magnet for miracles.

You have time for everything you need to do.

You look great today.

An affirmation is a beginning point. It opens the way. You are saying to your subconscious mind: I am taking responsibility. I am aware that there is something I can do to change.

If you continue to say the affirmation, either you will be ready to let whatever it is go, and the affirmation will become true; or it will open a new avenue to you.

Open your eyes. Open the door. Take the first step. Say these affirmations tomorrow morning. Say them for the entire week. See how you can change your life by a single thought.

Let’s affirm: Every thought I think is creating my future.