Journal entry of closing stock

Vinay B L (IPCC Student) (49 Points)

12 August 2019  

Dear Members,

I am in the process of learning the concept of Ledger. I am referring to a statement which is reproduced for your ready reference:

In the context of balancing of Ledger Accounts, it may be noted that, for the purpose of balancing of ledger accounts, ledger accounts may be classified into five kinds, viz., assets, liabilities, capital, revenues and expenses accounts. These five kinds of ledger accounts can be put into two groups, viz.,

(1) Permanent Accounts and

(2) Temporary Accounts.

Assets, liabilities and capital accounts are permanent accounts, Revenues and expenses accounts are temporary accounts. All permanent accounts are balanced and carried forward to the next accounting. The temporary accounts are closed at the end of the accounting period by transfer to trading account or profit and loss account.

But when I was learning the Journal entries, I have learned that the Journal entry for closing stock is

Closing Stock A/c

To Trading Account

As per my understanding of the "Modern Approach", I understand that Stock is an asset. If I go as per the above explanation which is related to Ledger, Closing Stock should become the part of Balance Sheet as it is an asset. It is not temporary in nature hence it should not be carried to the Trading account or profit and loss account.

I request the members to clarify this.

Thanks & Regards 

Vinay B L