It returns for freelance professional

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.

I am a freelance photographer. I don't own a photo-studio but do all post shooting work (photo editing and so on) from home. My gross receipts in 2010-2011 were in excess of Rs. 5,00,000. I have one bank account and my income and expenses (personal and business) are all reflected in the bank statement. I maintain "books of accounts" in GNUCash, a free accounting software. I have bills for all non-cash business expenses. I use ITR-4 for filing returns.

Queries:

1) Can I deduct electricity, telephone and mobile bills as business expenses? Or a percentage of these?

2) I know that I should maintain a separate bank account for personal expenses... But since I have not done so, for the purposes of tax returns, are all my personal cash withdrawals to be shown as "Cash in hand" in my IT return?

3) How do I deduct cash transactions (no bills) for things like food etc. spent while I was shooting?


Thanks, once again.

Amit

Replies (1)

Answers:

1. You have to deduct proportionate expenses relating to electricity, phone bills, etc. from income. A ratio of 50:50 would be reasonable.

2. Out of cash withwrawals from Bank Account, show some amount as personal drawings every month, say 5000 to 10000 p.m.

3. You can deduct the actual expenses even if the bills and vouchers are not available.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details