Interest on home loan & hra

Hi.

I am aware that a salaried individual can claim both HRA and Interest on Housing Loan. But it involves only 1 house and the owner living on rent. Hence, claims both the benefits.

 

In my case, I am salaried and claim HRA. I have purchased 2 properties in Navi Mumbai (both in my and my wife's name). One of them is under construction and is expected to be ready by Dec'13. The other is ready-to-move-in. I am taking Housing Loan for both the properties. The under construction property would fall under the recently inserted clause of additional Rs.100,000 tax benefit for Interest on HL u/s 24(b). The ready to move in property has a higher Loan amount, hence higher Interest amount too compared to the other Loan.

 

I want to claim Interest on Home Loan on both my properties and also want to claim HRA.

 

Can I assume both to be "Deemed to be Let-Out (DLO) or is it necessary to consider one of them to be self-occupied? But in case I assume any 1 to be self-occupied, I might not be entitled to claim HRA.

 

Please advise how to structure the same to be most tax-efficient. My query is for FY 2013-14 and not for FY 2012-13.

 

Please Note: My company (employer) does not consider Navi Mumbai as a Metro city as it is governed by a separate Municipality Corp.

Replies (3)

It is adivsable to read Tax Implications on Vacant or Second House Property and Can Investing in Second House reduce Tax Burden?

Thanks for the reply.

 

Both the articles are good, but are not helpful in my case.

It is not answering if I can claim both HRA and Interest on Housing Loan u/s 24(b) together?

I think, HRA Should only be claimed where in the city of Employment, No house prpoerty is owned by the employee.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Article Assistant

SGNG & Associates

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details