I wanna give upsc, don't wanna mugup anymore like in ca

Arpit (CA Final)     08 May 2015

Arpit
CA Final 
 25 likes  150 points

| My Other Post

Friends, I am appearing for finals group 2 from 11th May. I have prepared a lot and will definitely become a CA this time. My first attempt was Nov 2014, I managed to pass in group 1 only that time, thanks to ISCA.

I am already bored, exhausted, peeved of mugging up, it's not my cup of coffee. I can manage anything which involves logic and thinking ability. But my brain stops working as soon as I try memorizing something VAGUE and uninteresting. For the record, I am from sceince background, so never mugged up anything in my life before CA, except social science in class 10th.

Does anyone know about the syllabus of UPSC exams w.r.t. mugged up knowledge. I can get it online, but I would have to study a lot of past question papers to decide whether it requires MEMORIZED knowledge or not. I am sure many of the students and experts here have got a clear understanding about it.

I would go for the UPSC exam ONLY IF it involves 1 or 2 such subjects in the entire syllabus. I have seen the optional question paper of "commerce and accountancy", it wasn't that hard for a CA to answer all the questions. Maybe checking/marking is TOO HARD?

P.S. I have also heard of CSAT, and how the (mugging champion) students protested it last year in Delhi. It seems to me that CSAT is IQ & logic based, I am looking forward to it. What is this CSAT, and how much weightage does it have?

Black mamba (Finance Enthusiast)     09 May 2015

Black mamba
Finance Enthusiast 
 3 likes  65 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Originally posted by : Arpit
Friends, I am appearing for finals group 2 from 11th May. I have prepared a lot and will definitely become a CA this time. My first attempt was Nov 2014, I managed to pass in group 1 only that time, thanks to ISCA.

I am already bored, exhausted, peeved of mugging up, it's not my cup of coffee. I can manage anything which involves logic and thinking ability. But my brain stops working as soon as I try memorizing something VAGUE and uninteresting. For the record, I am from sceince background, so never mugged up anything in my life before CA, except social science in class 10th.

Does anyone know about the syllabus of UPSC exams w.r.t. mugged up knowledge. I can get it online, but I would have to study a lot of past question papers to decide whether it requires MEMORIZED knowledge or not. I am sure many of the students and experts here have got a clear understanding about it.

I would go for the UPSC exam ONLY IF it involves 1 or 2 such subjects in the entire syllabus. I have seen the optional question paper of "commerce and accountancy", it wasn't that hard for a CA to answer all the questions. Maybe checking/marking is TOO HARD?

P.S. I have also heard of CSAT, and how the (mugging champion) students protested it last year in Delhi. It seems to me that CSAT is IQ & logic based, I am looking forward to it. What is this CSAT, and how much weightage does it have?

Let me say you this, I have no proper knowledge of IAS but I have seen students preparing for civils in front of my residence.(There is actually a library) 

CSAT is like CPT which is extremely easier when compared to Prelims and Mains. I think even UPSC has a lot of mugging stuff as students are advised not to miss The Hindu everyday at any cost. The mugging/cramming starts in Prelims and mains but I think it is way different what we do in CA. There are no 40-50 pass rules there. Don't forget the fact that the competition is cut throat in UPSC. Even I am from science with a decent rank in my state CET and AIEEE exams. Take any decision after you are finished writing your Group 2.

avater

Jithin (Learner)     09 May 2015

Jithin
Learner 
 161 likes  1052 points

Hi Arpit, I dont have any real knowledge of UPSC and my post is actually off-topic..Sorry for that..But I am really curious to know about this mugging up stuff. I have never had to mug up anything upto now in CA(havent attempted finals yet, so it may change when I start preparing for ISCA). I have always thought of CA course as pretty logical and analytical. So I am actually surprised when I see posts about mugging up(I see a lot of such posts in caclubindia).

avater

Arpit (CA Final)     12 May 2015

Arpit
CA Final 
 25 likes  150 points

Originally posted by : Jithin
Hi Arpit, I dont have any real knowledge of UPSC and my post is actually off-topic..Sorry for that..But I am really curious to know about this mugging up stuff. I have never had to mug up anything upto now in CA(havent attempted finals yet, so it may change when I start preparing for ISCA). I have always thought of CA course as pretty logical and analytical. So I am actually surprised when I see posts about mugging up(I see a lot of such posts in caclubindia).

Are you being sarcastic? Hehe
You have cleared IPCC till now, hence the course appears to be logical and analytical to you. There is less logic in final subjects, even practical ones! Example: In accounts and SFM, the examiner can't complicate the question using concept alone, so they resort to LANGUAGE TWISTING to confuse the students. Hence, you end up MEMORIZING a lot of such adjustments/entries in accounts and SFM.

Yesterday I appeared for Costing exam, it was too easy for me! I had practised everything by hand around 4-5 times. It is also a kind of memorizing, such problems go into your muscle memory and you end up writing as fast as possible with minimal thinking. This is the ONLY WAY to attempt maximum questions in an insanely lengthy paper like costing. You stop writing even for few seconds in order to think, you lose!

BTW do you like the subject auditing? You must have passed it in group 2, did you study it thoroughly with interest? Normally students lose interest in auditing and start mugging up. Especially in finals, when there are several other subjects to deal with. The following subjects/topics require mugging up specifically:

Theory in accounts, SFM, costing, allied law, auditing and the WORST one ISCA! You also need to mug up a few things in DT and IDT like penalties, prosecutions, punishments etc.

NOTE: It may so appear that I am complaining unnecessarily, but it's my PERSONAL OPINION that mugging up is the worst kind of studies. IT IS MY ULTIMATE NEMESIS! It doesn't mean that those who can manage to mugup are inferior or anything, provided they have good IQ.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Download the latest Question Papers for free

click here