Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003


Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Adithyan R (Investor)     21 June 2021

HRA: Paying rent to my mother


I don't own any houses and I'm now living at my father's house. 
If I claim HRA on this house, my father will have to pay pretty much the same amount as tax.

But my mother is under the tax limits and she owns a house. So if I can claim HRA on this house, she still won't have to pay the tax and I'll get the exemption. I can provide the rental agreement, rent receipt and can also transfer the rent every month to her account. 
But is this still a bad idea, considering the fact that I'm trying to claim HRA on a house in which I'm not living? Any chance for it to backfire or am I good with the receipts, fund transfer and adding the rental income in  mother's ITR?

 1 Replies


S.K.Agrawal (Others)     02 July 2021

Similar query I also have. But in that case mother doesn't have separate house but lives in same house which is only house she and father has.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion

Popular Discussion

view more »

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags