HRA: Paying rent to my mother

Hi,

I don't own any houses and I'm now living at my father's house. 
If I claim HRA on this house, my father will have to pay pretty much the same amount as tax.

But my mother is under the tax limits and she owns a house. So if I can claim HRA on this house, she still won't have to pay the tax and I'll get the exemption. I can provide the rental agreement, rent receipt and can also transfer the rent every month to her account. 
But is this still a bad idea, considering the fact that I'm trying to claim HRA on a house in which I'm not living? Any chance for it to backfire or am I good with the receipts, fund transfer and adding the rental income in  mother's ITR?

Replies (1)

Similar query I also have. But in that case mother doesn't have separate house but lives in same house which is only house she and father has.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details