HRA from one employer but not from the other

I received HRA from my recent employer but my previous employer did not mention any HRA in the provided Form 16. (May be, since I was a leaving employer I was not provided those benefits)

Now while filling ITR, how should I exempt the rent that I paid during the last financial year? I stayed 12 months in two different places paying the rent.

 

Kindly help me out. Since my previous employer did not deduct tax for the few months that I worked with them, I'm now liable to pay some amount as tax and I'm trying to reduce the liability.

Replies (2)
Quick Summary
This discussion addresses how to claim House Rent Allowance (HRA) for tax exemption when you've received it from one employer but not your previous one. The user is seeking guidance on how to declare rent paid across two different locations during the financial year while filing their Income Tax Return (ITR). The aim is to reduce tax liability, especially since the previous employer didn't deduct tax for the period worked.

Since the previous employer did not deduct tax for the few months worked with them, you can now liable to pay some amount as tax. To reduce the liaility, you can claim deductions available under various sections of the Income tax Act, such as Section 80C for investments in PPF, NPS, etc.,or Section 80D for health insurance premiums.

My actual question is "While filling ITR, how should I exempt the rent that I paid during the last financial year?"

Should I claim HRA from one emplyer and rental paid for the rest of the period (with other employer)?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details