Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

saurabh (udaipur)     14 July 2019

HRA Exemption

Hi,

previously I am working in private company. I have submitted my Rent
documents for HRA exemption. but in form 16 they didn't consider. I left company 6 months before. how I can avail benefits of HRA Exemption in ITR filing as there is Tax payable if HRA didn't consider

3 Replies

V. NAVEEN KUMAR SICASA

V. NAVEEN KUMAR SICASA   14 July 2019

You can reconsider the same as per the provisions of the income tax act and file the return. Documentation is must for future income tax enquiries
Sivaramaraju G

Sivaramaraju G (Learner)     15 July 2019

Hello, as you left the company 6months before means that is January. That means you can claim exemption u/s 10(13A) for the 10months rent in previous employment. And balance for current employment that means you can claim whole year if you have done job for the whole year.
Suresh Thiyagarajan

Suresh Thiyagarajan (Student)     15 July 2019

1. Form 16 is just an acknowledgment and it is not your final computation. If the company has not considered HRA, then the same can be claimed in your IT return provided all the conditions attached to sec 10(13A) relation to HRA exemption is fulfilled. 
2. Sec 10(13A) allows the assessee to claim HRA from the lower of the following,
i) 50 % of the salary (or)
ii) Actual HRA received (or) 
iii) Actual rent paid less 10% of the salary 
In the case of non-metro cities, the above 50% shall be substituted by 40% 
3. Make sure to have proper documents and other computation sheets for future references and for other purposes.
4. In conclusion, HRA exemption u/s (13A) can be claimed relating to your former employer. 
Please correct me if the above solution has an alternative view. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register