HRA & Home Loan for Same Property

I know that I can show the rent paid to my parent and claim HRA which is owned by my parents where I am currently live in. 

My doubt is, if I am showing the same property for home loan where I am a co-applicant, will I be eligible to claim HRA and home loan. Please advise

Replies (8)
Quick Summary
This discussion explores whether an individual can claim both House Rent Allowance (HRA) and home loan benefits for the same property. The consensus is that if you are a co-owner of the property, you cannot claim HRA. However, you can claim deductions for the interest paid on your home loan. It's advised to choose the tax benefit that is most advantageous for your situation.

Yes deduction for home loan can be claimed
If you are the co owner of the property, you can't get rent deduction for har purposes according to me.

Both the benefits cannot be availed together. Select the one that is more beneficial to you.

But if he is the co owner of the house, he can't claim deduction u/s 10 (13 A) for rent payment.
Originally posted by : SUSHANT BIDAYE
open quote But if he is the co owner of the house, he can't claim deduction u/s 10 (13 A) for rent payment. close quote

Yes, you are right. Owner of the house cannot claim exemption u/s 10(13A). Only option is to claim deduction of interest on home loan.

Yes, only Interest on home loan can be claimed u/s 24(b)

Hi Sourav, So you mean to say that I can claim HRA and Interest but not the principal amount in 80C . Please clarify. Thanks!

Principal amount of home loan can be claimed under section 80C apart from Interest on loan

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Topics :

Loading
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details