ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

HRA

CA.Anuj kumar sharma (Service in Public Ltd. Co.)   (99 Points)

19 February 2008  

Dear All,

I am having a home in which my family is residing with my parents but due to my employment i am residing somewhere else for which iam paying some rent to my landlord.Please reply to the following Queries:

1. Am i eligible to claim HRA inspite of the fact that my family is residing in my own house except me?I think yes!

2. The house in which my family is residing will be deemed as self occupied property and accordingly no income will arise under income from house propety?

Kindly refer section also

Thanks

5 Replies

M.Sriram Shenoy (CA Final) (814 Points)
Replied 19 February 2008

You yourself got the answer right Mr.Anuj Ji. You are eligible to claim HRA. Owning a house doesnot by itself decline any one from claiming HRA. If your house and place of employment are different, then you are eligible to claim HRA, provided you stay at rented premises at the place of your employment and pay rent for it. If you have another house or you dont incur any rental expenditure at the place of your employment, then you cannot claim HRA.

As regards your second question, no income shall arise, as it is self occupied property. There shall be no relevance between question 1 and 2 in this instance. And by the way, can you explain me the term "DEEMED SELF OCCUPIED PROPERTY", i dont understand what it means???? sorry for that. jus joking..

O.D.SHARMA (DGM-F & A) (1734 Points)
Replied 19 February 2008

HRA Exemption is there for u.Claim Under section10(13).

qarni (student) (1220 Points)
Replied 19 February 2008

ur self answered

pushpendra (Director- FinMAT Consultants)   (1698 Points)
Replied 19 February 2008

U R Correct sir

Amit Sharma (article) (2677 Points)
Replied 20 February 2008

(1) Yes you are eligible for HRA exemption U/S 10(13). You are 100% right.....,.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags