How i got selected at big 4

Smiley (Employee)     01 June 2014

Smiley
Employee 
 17 likes  140 points

| My Other Post

Hey friends, I got selected at a big 4 firm recently. Wanted to share a few a few tips to share when going for an interview at big 4:

1. Make sure you know the Accounting Standards & Auditing standars if you are going for an interview for an assurance department. There will be scope for mistakes, they allow that, but you cant keep saying that you don't know any standard at all.
  2. Make sure you know your resume inside out. When you state that you are good at something, eg. Excel or tally, they will ask you more questions on that to check your confidence.
  3. Do not lie.
  4. Do not show off. Be humble and very polite.
  5. They may try to be a little tough or strict with you, but be calm. It is only to check your confidence. The same people will be excellent to you once you are selected.
  6. Finally, keep in mind, they are also humans like you, they also went through the same rigorous process.

Wishing you all the very best!! smileyangel

12 Like
avater

CMA. CS. Sanjay Gupta ("PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN")     01 June 2014

CMA. CS. Sanjay Gupta
"PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN" 
 11844 likes  113838 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Congratulations..!!!!

1 Like
avater

CA ASPIRANT (STUDENT)     02 June 2014

CA ASPIRANT
STUDENT 
 15 likes  380 points

Hey congrats ...which firm?can u tell me which depts/fields/areas are their for articleship in big4 & which one must select to make optimum use of big 4 articleship interms of getting knowledge & what all was asked apart from AS & SA? Were there GD also. PLs do reply...

vinita punjabi (student)     02 June 2014

vinita punjabi
student 
 13 likes  229 points

Hey congrats. I also want to apply. But my only 1st group is cleared, nd dat 2 with 210 marks.. do they only consider those candidates who are 1attempt cleared? Or with gud marks? Is there any scope for students like us in such big firms?

avater

Azim Khan ACA,CS,CMA*,LLB* (Proprietor)     02 June 2014

Azim Khan ACA,CS,CMA*,LLB*
Proprietor 
 160 likes  1312 points

Congrats...... Selection in Audit Dept of Big4 is easier but the way they put assignment burden on you, is horrible.. Initially they remain soft, later they show their true colours... Those who can work round the clock is fit for big4... believe me, this is my personal experience in one of the big4....

avater

Smiley (Employee)     02 June 2014

Smiley
Employee 
 17 likes  140 points

Originally posted by : CA ASPIRANT
Hey congrats ...which firm?can u tell me which depts/fields/areas are their for articleship in big4 & which one must select to make optimum use of big 4 articleship interms of getting knowledge & what all was asked apart from AS & SA? Were there GD also. PLs do reply...

It was EY. There are many areas such as Assurance, Taxation, Advisory and so on. U could refer their website. I have interacted with the articleship students of big 4.  Trust me if u want a brand name for ur articleship , join big 4. But if u want to gain knowledge in all areas join a mid sized CA firm. coz big 4 will give u an entry only in one dept, say tax..or audit. and u may not get to do things like preparing form 3ca 3cb etc..coz the work gets divided among thousands.

I did not have GD round. 1st round was communication ronud. had to talk for a minute on a general topic they provided. simple round

2nd was written test, mosty accoounts and audit objective type question. a few questions on drafting emails to seniors based on given circumstances. Easy round..this also.

3rd war HR round..simplest of all..genral questions..nothin to mention..

Technical round is where they try to be hard on u..all syllabus related questions and questions to test ur personality and leadership.

Be calm..be yourself..you will do well..all the very best.

1 Like
avater

Smiley
Employee 
 17 likes  140 points

Originally posted by : vinita punjabi
Hey congrats. I also want to apply. But my only 1st group is cleared, nd dat 2 with 210 marks.. do they only consider those candidates who are 1attempt cleared? Or with gud marks? Is there any scope for students like us in such big firms?

If u want to do ur articleship there its better to comlete ur 2nd group too coz getting leav is not an easy affair. 

I dont know about attempts for articleship, but for jobs in EY India they take B.com and Ca final pass in 3 attempts. In EY GSS they select within 7 attempts. 

They  take even average students..in fact avrage students have better communication skills which is why they get selected. So do not worry about it.

And as u mentioned it is a big firm. But personally i would prefer to work in a mid sized firm with scope for learning. Each one's choice differs.. smiley

avater

Teerth (CA Final)     02 June 2014

Teerth
CA Final 
 4 likes  168 points

Hello Smiley, Many many congratulations to you. I wanna ask that while applying for the employment in big 4; is there any impact of those who have cleared CA with no. of attempts. Kindly let me know how do they take into consideration regarding attempts in clearing CA examinations at all level (i.e. CPT, IPCC and CA Final)

1 Like
avater

Smiley
Employee 
 17 likes  140 points

Originally posted by : Teerth
Hello Smiley, Many many congratulations to you. I wanna ask that while applying for the employment in big 4; is there any impact of those who have cleared CA with no. of attempts. Kindly let me know how do they take into consideration regarding attempts in clearing CA examinations at all level (i.e. CPT, IPCC and CA Final)

Hi Teerth, thanks for the wishes. Attempts usually play a role at big 4's. Im not sure about intermediate since they never told me anything about the no. of attempts.

But for those who cleared finals, the indian office of the big 4's select those who have cleared within 3 attempts, and the global offices select those passed within 6 or 7 attempts.

1 Like
avater

Teerth (CA Final)     02 June 2014

Teerth
CA Final 
 4 likes  168 points

Hi Smiley, How come this is possible? I actually didn't got that concept - indian office of the big 4's select those who have cleared within 3 attempts, and the global offices select those passed within 6 or 7 attempts? Why so?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Download the latest Question Papers for free

click here